Fresh water intake for Mid 90s models

Sep 4, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 440 Huntington
Is anyone familiar with a factory install of a fresh water intake system that is used when at a slip or dockside for potable water? I have a Swagelok quick connect fitting on my starboard stern that connects to a filter and presumably feeds the fresh water system when engaged. Looking for any insight you may have. I have a 1996 Oceanis 440. Thank you.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yeah, it was a dumb idea borrowed from the landlubber camper trailer people. Easy way to sink a boat at the dock. Plug it and learn how to manage your installed water tanks. You have plenty of water storage on that boat.

Sep 4, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 440 Huntington
Yeah, it was a dumb idea borrowed from the landlubber camper trailer people. Easy way to sink a boat at the dock. Plug it and learn how to manage your installed water tanks. You have plenty of water storage on that boat.
Thanks Gunni, by the looks of it I would need to retrofit a few parts and hoses to get it operational. A nice winter project. Are you familiar with how to manage the water flow? The pressure from the dock is much greater than what I feel it was designed for? There's zero documentation on the install for this one...Thanks again.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I agree with Gunni. Why put a pressurized water source that probably operates at a much higer pressure than your normal system pressure on a boat that can be filled with that water?

On the other hand, there are ways to regulate the pressure down (one problem solved) and there are some new water sensor controls that turn off the water supply after a certain number of gallons (to protect homes from water line breaks) (second problem mitigated) This of course depends on your confidence in the gizmo's to work 100% of the time. My insurance company offered one to me (at a $$ of course) after I flooded my walnut floors overflowing the kitchen sink! :yikes:

If I were to hook up a shore side source of water (which I wouldn't do) I would sure want some protection like the regulator and shut off controller. You can probably call your house insurance carrier and they might have info on it. Your boat, your choice.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
As Gunni pointed out, you can sink your boat with a pressurized shore water hookup. I've read accounts of this in Boat US magazine.