Fresh water head

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sailgirl

Although we really love our new boat, I'm afraid that we've been spoiled by our previous one that had a fresh water head. I was wondering if anyone has coverted their head from a raw water intake to a fresh water one. I would appreciate any input or experience that anyone has to share. Thanks.

K

Ken

Fresh water

I assume you want the fresh water head to get rid of the odors caused by the raw salt water sitting in the intake tube and growing critters while you are gone. Depending on how the boat is plumbed, is it possible to add a "T" to the head sink drain line at the sink drain thru hull? Raw water flushing will still be possible. When leaving the boat, close the thru hull, full the sink with fresh water, put the head in the wet bowl position and flush. The fresh water will flush the head intake line of raw water. Result is a non smelly head when you return.

K

Ken

Fresh water

I assume you want the fresh water head to get rid of the odors caused by the raw salt water sitting in the intake tube and growing critters while you are gone. Depending on how the boat is plumbed, is it possible to add a "T" to the head sink drain line at the sink drain thru hull? Raw water flushing will still be possible. When leaving the boat, close the thru hull, full the sink with fresh water, put the head in the wet bowl position and flush. The fresh water will flush the head intake line of raw water. Result is a non smelly head when you return.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
In all the years reading about

this topic, some basic "light bulb" idea never got to me until last week. I'd even gone so far as to buy the parts to plumb into the sink drain. I also had gotten into the habit of using the head sink "wand" for the last flush of the head, but ended up dripping in the head, so required more work to clean up. How many of us use plastic bottles, for juice, soda, water??? probably everyone. I filled one up from the galley sink, flushed the head on dry bowl, closed the head inlet, then poured the water into the bowl, and flushed. No additional plumbing, no getting the head wet from extending the head sink wand. No brains for not thinking of this very easy solution 10 years ago.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
In all the years reading about

this topic, some basic "light bulb" idea never got to me until last week. I'd even gone so far as to buy the parts to plumb into the sink drain. I also had gotten into the habit of using the head sink "wand" for the last flush of the head, but ended up dripping in the head, so required more work to clean up. How many of us use plastic bottles, for juice, soda, water??? probably everyone. I filled one up from the galley sink, flushed the head on dry bowl, closed the head inlet, then poured the water into the bowl, and flushed. No additional plumbing, no getting the head wet from extending the head sink wand. No brains for not thinking of this very easy solution 10 years ago.

S

sailgirl

Thanks for you input

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate all the suggestions. We have used a pitcher that we fill from the sink and that works but I was hoping for a more permanent fix. We have an electric head and I was wondering as we have 3 water tanks if it would be possible to put a T with a check valve off the intake hose for the head and connect it to the fresh water line to the sink? Please excuse me if this is a totally ridiculous idea, as you may have gathered I have no experience with this kind of thing. :eek:

S

sailgirl

Thanks for you input

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate all the suggestions. We have used a pitcher that we fill from the sink and that works but I was hoping for a more permanent fix. We have an electric head and I was wondering as we have 3 water tanks if it would be possible to put a T with a check valve off the intake hose for the head and connect it to the fresh water line to the sink? Please excuse me if this is a totally ridiculous idea, as you may have gathered I have no experience with this kind of thing. :eek:

May 16, 2007
- - C350, Ontario, Canada
Bottled water

Hey Stu, Good idea I have been using your method since we bought our boat last year. -Ralph Catalina 350

May 16, 2007
- - C350, Ontario, Canada
Bottled water

Hey Stu, Good idea I have been using your method since we bought our boat last year. -Ralph Catalina 350

K

Ken

critters

The plastic bottle idea is a great one for flushing the bowl and line between head and tank. Before I started flushing the head intake line with fresh water the first couple wet bowl flushes had a significant amount of black algae like clumps and the smell was almost overpowering. They have all but dissappeared now. Guess the brackish water we sail in is more prone to smelly critters than others.

K

Ken

critters

The plastic bottle idea is a great one for flushing the bowl and line between head and tank. Before I started flushing the head intake line with fresh water the first couple wet bowl flushes had a significant amount of black algae like clumps and the smell was almost overpowering. They have all but dissappeared now. Guess the brackish water we sail in is more prone to smelly critters than others.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Sailgirl, to answer your question...and Ken's

"I was wondering as we have 3 water tanks if it would be possible to put a T with a check valve off the intake hose for the head and connect it to the fresh water line to the sink? " NEVER connect any raw (sea) water toilet to any part of the fresh water system. It cannot be done without risk of contaminating the fresh water system, damage to the toilet, or both...and every toilet mfr specifically warns against it in their installation instructions. Only toilets designed to use pressurized flush water can be safely connected to the fresh water system. "is it possible to add a "T" to the head sink drain line at the sink drain thru hull?" Yes...in fact several boat builders plumb the head intake and head sink drain to the same thru-hull 'cuz it eliminates one hole in the boat. Closing the seacock and pouring water into the bowl is ok--though not very good for the pump 'cuz only the bottom half ever gets wet, so it increases wear on the rubber parts in the top half of the pump--if your have a manual toilet...but don't ever do that if you have a macerating electric toilet...'cuz cutting off the flow of flush water will first fry the impeller and then destroy the intake pump. If you do pour water into the bowl, be sure to flush at least a quart or two of clean water before leaving the boat, to rinse all the waste out of the discharge hose. Waste left sitting in the hose will result in smelly permeated hose. Y'all might want to take a look at another thread on this subject, started today in the Headmistress forum http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/pviewall.tpl?&fno=11&uid=73191640303&sku=2007137020837.79

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Sailgirl, to answer your question...and Ken's

"I was wondering as we have 3 water tanks if it would be possible to put a T with a check valve off the intake hose for the head and connect it to the fresh water line to the sink? " NEVER connect any raw (sea) water toilet to any part of the fresh water system. It cannot be done without risk of contaminating the fresh water system, damage to the toilet, or both...and every toilet mfr specifically warns against it in their installation instructions. Only toilets designed to use pressurized flush water can be safely connected to the fresh water system. "is it possible to add a "T" to the head sink drain line at the sink drain thru hull?" Yes...in fact several boat builders plumb the head intake and head sink drain to the same thru-hull 'cuz it eliminates one hole in the boat. Closing the seacock and pouring water into the bowl is ok--though not very good for the pump 'cuz only the bottom half ever gets wet, so it increases wear on the rubber parts in the top half of the pump--if your have a manual toilet...but don't ever do that if you have a macerating electric toilet...'cuz cutting off the flow of flush water will first fry the impeller and then destroy the intake pump. If you do pour water into the bowl, be sure to flush at least a quart or two of clean water before leaving the boat, to rinse all the waste out of the discharge hose. Waste left sitting in the hose will result in smelly permeated hose. Y'all might want to take a look at another thread on this subject, started today in the Headmistress forum http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/pviewall.tpl?&fno=11&uid=73191640303&sku=2007137020837.79

E

EvenKeel

Fresh water flush with solenoid

I just purchased a used Catalina 350. The previous owner installed a fresh water flush system for the Raritan electric toilet using existing plumbing. However, an electric solenoid valve was installed to prevent backflow from the head into the fresh water system. The solenoid, which is normally closed, pops open upon pushing the flush button. It is powered from the same circuit. These solenoids run about $50 and are quite reliable. The question is, are they reliable enough? I think I'm willing to take the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.