Fresh water gauge not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
The fresh water gauge on my 2007 Hunter 38 suddenly stopped working - The waste water gauge does work. This is a gauge that can switch between the two tanks.

Has anyone experienced this and any suggestions on troubleshooting?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Web site

I have the same gauge on my H-36 and never had a problem with water part but the waste has always given me a problem but I have it working now but not very accurate.
Go on Wema web site for instructions for testing the sender or check wires,I did replace the whole gauge once trying to get the waste to work and since and the waste part sorter works better but not very accurate.
Nick

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Testing

My manual shows to test with ohms full-30 and empty 240
test the sending unit before checking wiring and if the sending unit checks OK than check wiring to guage.
Nick

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
WEMA

You should contact WEMA directly. Look at the top of your WEMA water gauge and record the model or part number then talk to the tech people on the WEMA site. It seems there are different models with different internal resistant characteristics, some that will only work with some gauges.

I had an original and defective WEMA water tank sensor on my 2000 H340. I could not find a suitable replacement match on the WEMA web site so I contacted them at info@wemausa.com. It turns out that the Hunter factory installed water tank sensor on my boat (marked 01-00, W2-17-H336) is a now discontinued model and has been replaced with the WEMA S3 series. This is a 0 to 180 ohms sensor and is 17 inches long. Curiously, the unit on my boat is a European, screw-in sensor which is mounted in a standard five-hole American style adapter ring. The gauge-compatible replacement for my boat is the European sensor # S3-432.
I had to deal directly with customer service at WEMA via email and phone and they were very helpful. As it turns out, you cannot purchase the new S3 sensors from the web site. The online sensors look the same but the ohms are different. The ones on the website are 240 ohms at empty and 33 at full. The replacement sender I needed is 0 at empty and 180 at full. If you order online, you will need the entire system (gauge + sender) to make sure the units are compatible. I had to order my new sensor by phone directly from WEMA. Their contact number is on their web site.
I ordered a new sensor and was able to unscrew the old one from the mounting ring. It seems that Hunter sealed the threads with some unknown caulking. I was able to break it loose with heat from a hair dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.