Fresh water distribution manifold

Jun 18, 2007
-Hunter 41 DS -2009 port washington ny
I cannot turn the valves in the fresh waster distribution manifold under the sink in the galley. I closed one late last year to stop a leak and now can't reopen it. Other valves also seem impossible to move. They are plastic. Apart from closing a\the valve last year I've never turned the valves since I got my boat new in 2009. Anybody have any thoughts about "unsticking" the valve?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
SG They are 8 year old plastic parts? You have a couple of choices.
  1. Remove them and work to free the valve from the likely lime/calcium deposits. You could put them in hot (not boiling) water to see if warming the plastic will help to break them free. You could see if they can be disassembled, cleaned and put back together. Plastic decays and become brittle.
  2. You may find that the parts are cheaper to replace then repair when you account for the time and effort needed to remove, clean, lube, and reinstall 8 year old plastic parts.
Just my 2 cents about plastic parts.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
John's right.

I had a leaky plastic valve on my manifold. I replaced it with a metal gate valve from a hardware store. When I got around to inspecting the old valve, the leak was from the deteriorated O rings. I replaced them and saved the vale for the next time...:)

I've never turned the valves since I got my boat new in 2009
Why not? You should only be using one tank at a time. And valves should always be exercised regularly.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
FW Manifold.PNG
A lot of work pulling that manifold out from under the sink, where you have to get sideways to get both arms in, I know I had to fix a leaky line last weekend from the starboard tank, pump wouldn't prime when that valve was open. There has to be what (8) valves on that manifold, plus the (2) coming from the FW tanks.

Oct 22, 2014
A lot of work pulling that manifold out from under the sink
Why must builders put such important equipment in a place nearly impossible to access with a normal body frame.

I swear they must be getting a kick back from the yoga trainers.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
It was easy to access when the cabinet was sitting on the manufacturers floor, I guess they only build them for the first owner with a given life expectancy us poor soles who inherit these vessels in their later years must enroll in yoga classes as a prerequisite to purchasing, or, have saved enough at the time of purchase to pay someone to do the work for us, the latter of which is not in my category that is for sure.

Oct 22, 2014
I have learned some new positions since beginning my boat refit.
The latest is "Downward Upface Backleaning Left Arm stretch" I use it when trying to grasp the bolts on the engine oil pan lying on my back with feet sticking out of the lazerett reaching back under the engine with my left hand holding a socket wrench. The only issue is dealing with the cramps or dizziness that eventually occurs if staying in the pose too long...

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Oh the cramps, if I could just bottle the cramps I have had I would be very well off, something about age and cramps, just don't know what it is.

Apr 20, 2016
Hunter 426DS Newburyport, MA
Has anybody been able to find a replacement manifold lug key? I overtorqued one switching between tanks on my 2003 Hunter 426DS and cracked the side of the key so it doesn't hold on to the lug to turn any more. I have a second key under the galley sink but would like to have one right next to the diverter valves under the sole that actually works. The store here now sells a different manifold that doesn't use a key so I'm not seeing that they would be able to get one.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I cannot turn the valves in the fresh waster distribution manifold under the sink in the galley. I closed one late last year to stop a leak and now can't reopen it. Other valves also seem impossible to move. They are plastic. Apart from closing a\the valve last year I've never turned the valves since I got my boat new in 2009. Anybody have any thoughts about "unsticking" the valve?
Removing the manifold will not be a fun job. But, it may come down to that.
Perhaps try putting dish soap through it. You’d need to disconnect the inlet fittings at the top.,
Then, load up the hot & cold chambers with dish soap, and let it sit. It Would possibly help to get a heat gun in there, and carefully (on low heat) try to warm the unit up. Be careful not to melt anything .
I’m thinking this might work

Jan 27, 2019
Hunter 36 San Diego
My 2005 H36 did not come with a manifold at all! Here is a video of my construction and installation of a fresh water distribution manifold.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
My 2005 H36 did not come with a manifold at all! Here is a video of my construction and installation of a fresh water distribution manifold.
Hi
Great work on your video
Small correction
The tubing isn’t Pex
It’s actually Whale 15mm
The fittings you bought were from a company originally called Sea Tech
It’s now been taken over
Fresh Water Systems is a great supplier, and they have excellent stock & prices
If you get stuck on adapter types, go to the Whale site. They have every imaginable adapter, etc. Defender is a good source for this as well
Be sure to disconnect the main lines for wintering. Water can get trapped in these valves

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 37.5 37.5 Norfolk
Very nice. When I tackled the fresh water system on my boat I used metal valves to create the manifold. I am personally adverse to plastic where a bronze valve will do for seawater or a brass valve will do for fresh water. I replaced all the plastic valves on my boat with bronze ones. It took me a few years to realize that if my fresh water system pump or battery power dies and I did not have a replacement on board I would not be able to have fresh water unless I carried spare jerry cans or bottles water. So added a foot pump and a valve manifold to facilitate it. sadly the foot pump couldn't just be plumbed in a way that the water pump could just pump straight through it hence the manifold. the attached photo is what I have on OLD CROW a 1996 Hunter 37.5.

Attachments