Fresh toilet water system, can be mixed with saltwater ?

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
I have a h41 with only fresh water system onboard, i use enzime on my waste tank and my boat is odorless. I want to add a salt water system to operate the toilets. Do i need to discharge them directly overboard or i can mix bot waters on the same waste tank ?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Unless you're off shore, you cant discharge anything from the head.
The salt water will introduce 'critters' into your system (bowl, pipes, valves, holding tank, etc.).
They seem to aid in the creation and retention of nasty smells in a boat.
If your system doesn't smell, I'd find an additional water supply for the head.
Just my 2 cents, or,
"If it were my boat, I'd..."

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
There's so much bacteria in waste that the holding tank doesn't notice whether the flush water is salt or fresh...sea water odors originate in the toilet intake (dead and decaying animal or vegetable life) and/or failure to rinse the discharge hose behind each flush.

However, unless your toilet is designed or equipped to use both fresh and sea water, there's no way to do it without riskof contaminating your fresh water supply with sea water. You'd have to disconnect your toilet from the freshwater plumbing and also install a remote intake pump (there is no intake pump in toilets designed to use onboard pressurized water) to draw in water from an intake thru-hull or a flush water supply tank.

Replacing one of your toilets with a sea water toilet might be the best solution. Teeing its intake line into the head sink drain line would let you flush with sea water and also provide a safe source of fresh water to rinse the sea water out of the entire system once a day. Details in my book (see link in my signature below) or on request...a bunch of members here have done this.

--Peggie