Freezer door not closing

Aug 22, 2020
Beneteau 411 411 Marina Del Rey
Does anyone know how to fix a freezer door that does not close completely?
freezer door 1.jpg

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Odd. The shadow on the right side of the pic. is parallel to the top, the hinges at the back look like offsets and the latch at the front is closed. Maybe it’s supposed to be that way. Some added insulation?

Aug 22, 2020
Beneteau 411 411 Marina Del Rey
There is insulation. The door is not closing completely and allowing air into freezer. If I can find a solution other than purchasing a new door. That would be great!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There is insulation. The door is not closing completely and allowing air into freezer. If I can find a solution other than purchasing a new door. That would be great!
It is hard to tell from this one photo, however, I suspect the solution is not a new lid. The first place I would look is the seal between the lid and the counter. Then I would look at the hinges.

It could be the lid is warped, in which case a new lid would be in order. However, I suspect the foam seal between the lid and the counter is too thick.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Interesting. If you can take some more pictures it might be helpful. The hinges and with the door open etc. The more the merrier.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
In the navy they would tell the sailor to get a bigger hammer.

I like the removal of the hinges and see why the top is not fitting snug. Perhaps pictures of the inside, the rim, and the inside of the door.

I knew a sailor who had a similar problem. Upon inspection the Admiral had purchased one of those large bottles of gin. Made great Gin and Tonics. Was just a little too big for the refridge. Compromise is a factor on a sail boat.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
It is hard to tell from this one photo, however, I suspect the solution is not a new lid. The first place I would look is the seal between the lid and the counter. Then I would look at the hinges.

It could be the lid is warped, in which case a new lid would be in order. However, I suspect the foam seal between the lid and the counter is too thick.
I agree and why is there a twist lock on a horizontal lid? Destroys a countertop..That one (stbd?)tack must be murder....

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
It could be that the lid is swelling with moisture, or likewise the counter.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Don’t make rash judgments.
Hinges can sometimes offset or bend when the lid is open and is hit by something/someone.
Take off the hinges and seat the lid to see if it fits properly.
Yep!

That is what I was going to suggest. AND if the lid is warped, this same test will definitively show that. Unscrew the hinges from the lid side and see if the lid seats properly. If it does, then fill the screw holes with epoxy and tap new holes and rescrew.

That should fix it... or you need a new lid.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
on Beneteau’s that I have been on, the lid is flush with the countertop. Could be defective rubber gasket, bent hinges, lid out of alignment or warped mounting surfaces. Agree with others to remove hinges to determine problem. The purpose of the twist latch is to compress the slightly proud gasket to make for a better seal & to prevent the lid from opening in a knock down.