Freeze Plugs

Oct 30, 2019
There are at least two plugs on the MD6A diesel that measure about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. When I fired up the engine, they were leaking. I tapped them back in, but should probably order some more.

Can anyone tell me what they are called, how many there are on the motor, and where I can buy them?

Steve - Is this something you might carry?

Sincerely,
Jack
Bella - V2620

May 30, 2006
they are freeze plugs.You can get them in many flavors and are commonly available in automotive supply stores.
You put them in and whack them so they squish out and seal the hole.The ones in there now are mighty tough. I ended up using a cold metal chisle and hammer to cut through them almost in half. Then I could get channel locks on them.They are supposed to be soft metal, but I guess the definition of soft is somewhat variable.There are also rubber ones. They look like a rubber stopper with a small hole through the middle. A big washer on either end and a wing nut and bolt. Just screw it tighter and the stopper gets fat. This is what I ended up with on the suggestion of another vega owner. Working fine so far.I thought I had the diameter info written down somewhere, but can't find it. But they are so cheap, just buy a few sizes and see which fits.Also, if i remember correctly, the hole is one diameter and then you hit a step in the block where the hole diameter gets about 0.2 inches smaller. This makes it so the freeze plug will rest on this
ledge while you whack it. Then it smashes into the hole wall to seal. On mine, I believe the edges were a bit coroded off. This may be happening with yours too. May make it difficult to put the new ones in. If you want to stick with the metal ones, you may need to dress up the opening with high temp sealant of some sort (or some other fix).roy

Nov 8, 2001
Think you will find that teh MD6A pluigs are stainless and that is why they are so tough.... Ive used araldite before now!

Steve B