freeing frozen nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RAY

I wish to adjust my prop shaft alignment but I have some rust frozen nuts on the engine mounting bolts. I have tried many times to free the nut using WD 40 but to no avail! Does anyone have a better solvent or method to free the nut(s)? I would appreciate any suggestions.

J

jay

try Aerokroil

Hi, Try Aerokroil from Kano. You can order direct from Kano Laboratories,at least you could at one time, at (615)833-4101. If that doesn't work you need to either cut the nuts with a nut cutter(preferred), or use heat. If you go with heat, first be very carefull of fire. Repeat, be very carefull of fire. Have a couple of extinguishers handy. Try a heat gun first, not a hair dryer. Then try a mini butane torch if the heat gun doesn't work. If you use a torch make sure all oil, fuel, and anything else that will burn is gone from the engine room! Rags, ect... If you used oil on the nuts before make sure you clean off the oil as best you can before adding heat! If you can't find a nut cutter and don't want to use heat (I don't blame you), you can always do it the old fashion way with a chisel and hammer. Good Luck, Jay

B

Bill Murray

penetrating oil

WD-40 is not the right product for freeing rusted nuts and bolts. You need a penetrating oil. Go to your friendly neighborhood hardware -- no need to buy a "marine" product here. there are lots of brands - I think they are all about the same but ask for advice from the "hardware man" (if he's not some kid!) Put it on the threads and let it work. really stubborn threads can require multiple treatments over many days but with patience you can get just about anything to loosen up.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
What I Did

was soak in Liquid Wrench for several applications overnight. That did it for most of them. Used a bit of a hammer blow as I was turning the other and it too worked. Good luck. Be patient and let the penetrant work.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

Coke

I believe I've heard Coca Cola helps disolve rust. Does that scare anyone else but me?!?! :) LaDonna

W

wb

heat

if you can safely heat with a torch thats the best way.but if not try running the engine until its at max.heat then use mechanics gloves and try.either way be very careful for you and your boat. good luck

R

red coles

blaster

Go to a auto parts store and get some "PB Blaster" Good luck red

H

Hugh

penetrating oil

I tried twice to free a corroded shackle. Then just when I was ready to get the hack saw, I decided to try penetrating oil. I got it at Bennys (which is sort of like a local hardware store), for $1.50. Put it on, gave it a few taps (not too hard) with a hammer, and 10 minutes later tried a wrench and it came loose. Amazed and happy was I.

R

Rich Stidger

PB Blaster is the best I've seen

I agree with a previous post. PB Blaster, available in auto parts stores. A big spray can for about $4. You still need to soak it for a while, maybe overnight, but I have loosened some really incredible stuff with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.