Freedom 20 inverter/charger died after 16 yrs! Suggestions on replacements?

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hi Maine sail,
Still grappling with the inverter charger replacement decision, since I’ve decided to have it shipped to st Thomas we still have a month, since we got 17 years out of the Xantrex and since it appears the magnum will require the extra cost of a new remote and the hassle of fishing a new cable across the boat to the nav station I’m inclined to go with the freedom 458 modified sine. It’s 500 bucks more to get pure sine with either magnum or Xantrex and all our boat stuff has worked fine on modified for 17 years.
The magnum will cost 150 bucks additional due to the need for a new remote. I haven’t yet learned enough to see the value in the different brand or the upgrade to pure sine. But... I don’t want to look back a see I missed something. So maybe to can help me understand the value in the upgrade or the move to magnum from Xantrex. Understand magnum is better on customer service, but honestly after 17 years of never a problem I wonder how important that’s going to be?
Respectfully,
If you want to pay less money and buy something that nowhere near as good technically, quality, or support-wise, go ahead
You’ve asked this forum for their opinion, and people have tried to be honest & helpful.
You could probably save even more money by fishing around eBay for a used Xantec which which might work.
If If was my boat, I’d want to replace it once and be done with it.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
YMMV, but when I upped to three batteries from two, I found the X40 to replace my X20 at Bacon's. Bacons said the local Benny dealer had changed it out on a new boat at customer's request. Happens alot, says he, and they get alot of new stuff to sell as used. The mfg date on the 40 was not even one year old! SO, if you have a marina near by, you might stop in and inquire for used- with a 10-day return policy, like Bacons.

Jan 19, 2019
Hunter 356 Penetanguishene
Response to your modified versus pure sine wave inverters. I previously went from a 1000 watt modified sine wave inverter charger to a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter charger. Did so to get more charging for my battery bank and a little more kick from the inverter to run my ice maker. 'MY' biggest issue was that the modified sine wave unit used very little draw while it was powered all the time (the way I liked to operate my boat). My new pure sine wave unit had a draw of over an amp to stay powered up. I ended up shutting it down after every use. A big PITA for me. If you have solar or wind, you may not have an issue if you want the inverter on all the time. MHO

Feb 6, 2010
hunter passage456 kemah
Help, I really need your help, my email is arwsailing@hotmail.com if you email me I can give you my phone number or get yours, I'm in St. John's vi, I picked up the magnum inverter charger I ordered a ms 2012 they sent a ms 2000, I was looking at the wiring and just couldn't understand why it didn't seem to look right, my 2002 hunter had the freedom, it had 3 wires in to the ac on the unit, black green white, and three wires coming out to the boats ac service green white and black, I expected to see something on the inverter that says ac hot in ac neutral in ac ground in, and the three similar wires for the outgoing ac, instead i see black -ac hot in,white ac neutral in,green ac ground, blue ac hot out orange ac hot out (optional) white with black ac neutral out,
And the kicker is there are two white wires with black stripes, I'm stumped, you install these maybe I'm just bran dead but I can't see how this matches up with my boats ac wiring. Sure would appreciate your help. Again sure would like to speak to you by phone.

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
Just replaced my 2000w on my H380, the original with Xantrex 458 2500 watt, 120? watt charger, It is a lot heavier, but only slightly wider and a bit longer. Almost a plug and play. Best price I found was from Wholesale Marine, under $1400.

Mar 5, 2009
Hunter 410 Penetang
Does anyone know when Xantrex quality went down hill. I was given a barely used 2007 freedom 25. I only need a new remote to install it. Was the 2007 version a good quality unit ?

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
The xantrex freedom 20 2000 watt inverter charger died on us after 16 years of trouble free service. Our 2002 Passage 456 has a limited space for replacement so I was considering the xantrex 458 or the newer saw series 2000 watt replacements. Anyone replaced theirs recently. Would like a drop in replacement if possible and I assume the remote controller at the nav station would work with either the 458 or the newer pure sine wave models. Never had a issue with this unit regarding ac appliances so not sure a pure sine wave makes a difference to us. But now the time to upgrade if it's really better . Looking for ideas ?
Ok,
I used to be a fan of Xantrex a long time ago. No more.
If you want a trouble free, high quality, well supported unit.... Buy Magnum Energy. They are simply the best.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Does anyone know when Xantrex quality went down hill. I was given a barely used 2007 freedom 25. I only need a new remote to install it. Was the 2007 version a good quality unit ?
I just replaced my 2007 unit. I have the remote and it is yours for the shipping. PM me if you are interested.