Free Navigation Apps

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Last Saturday we got caught in a deep fog in Long Island Sound (no problem, happily), but it go me to thinking about some kind of backup for our trusty Garmin GPS should it die. Looks like there are some free nav apps out there that will run on i-phones. Anyone tried, have a favorite?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There are a plethora of options. iPhone, iPad, Laptop etc. all with varying abilities, requirements, and costs.

In the iPhone range... iNavx, iSailor, iBoating etc. All have features and functions that you will see similar to your Garmin unit.

Many offer free access for a limited time or with some of the features not available. Not all this is dependent on you knowing exactly where you are. Cell Phones are not like GPS systems in locating you. So since you can not control (trust) the cell phone location you will want to give "EXTRA ROOM" from the navigational hazards as you find your way in the fog.

As you say they are better as a WTSHTF situations and are better than having nothing. You might also consider paper charts and learning to navigate using your compass and depth sounder.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have Navonics on my iPhone. I really like it. If I am remembering correctly the app is free but you have to down load maps of specific areas and they are a few buck each. Navoinics also has a "sonar" view that shows detailed contours of the bottom. That is also very useful if you have a depth sounder.

I also have the NOAA radar app on my phone. It is not equivalent to active radar but it does let you "watch" storm cells and see what direction they are heading. I find it very useful in dodging the really bad stuff. Sometimes you just stay put for an extra 30 min while something nasty blows past.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Thanks, much appreciate.......learned to navigate many years ago, so "re-learn" might be the better term. Got too dependent on the technology I guess, but, even so, varying (by hour) current drift is a problem for us, so "real nav" is very helpful.

There are a plethora of options. iPhone, iPad, Laptop etc. all with varying abilities, requirements, and costs.

In the iPhone range... iNavx, iSailor, iBoating etc. All have features and functions that you will see similar to your Garmin unit.

Many offer free access for a limited time or with some of the features not available. Not all this is dependent on you knowing exactly where you are. Cell Phones are not like GPS systems in locating you. So since you can not control (trust) the cell phone location you will want to give "EXTRA ROOM" from the navigational hazards as you find your way in the fog.

As you say they are better as a WTSHTF situations and are better than having nothing. You might also consider paper charts and learning to navigate using your compass and depth sounder.
learnee