Free Craigslist find

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Fresh water use means that the boat has only been used in fresh water by its owners. Boats are not made for only one type of water. But, better built boats are better abled to endure the corrosive effects of salt water.
I would not modify the hull or keel as the designer knew what the overall Design was to accomplish. Also big beefy keel is a good thing. A racing boat might be different but you are likely just looking for safe fun with the family and great memories.
As they say in the navy, kiss, keep it simple sweetie.

May 4, 2017
ILLINOIS HOMEMADE BOATS Unsure Tampa
Yeah "KISS" was something I heard in the Air Force too...but for a guy who loves to design and modify things, it's hard to resist. It's pretty much going to be a weekend cruiser.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Another vote, for make seaworthy first, no pretty projects until you know it will be worth the extra time and money. I'd get it off and sandblasted first to see what is left. Then will need to talk to a welder about fixing holes and issues, I'd only worry about attachment points, pivot points and cable attachment, the rest is just cosmetic and really would improve performance.

Do you have sails and rigging, outboard, rudder? Those could get very expensive to make.

May 4, 2017
Another vote, for make seaworthy first, no pretty projects until you know it will be worth the extra time and money. I'd get it off and sandblasted first to see what is left. Then will need to talk to a welder about fixing holes and issues, I'd only worry about attachment points, pivot points and cable attachment, the rest is just cosmetic and really would improve performance.

Do you have sails and rigging, outboard, rudder? Those could get very expensive to make.
I do have sails and the rudder. I have the outboard attachment so I need to get one. In Florida, you don't have to register your boat if you don't have a gas motor on it. So, would it be wise to go with the electric motor or go with gas powered? The rigging I think is there. I have a lot of ropes and steel braided cable. I will take photo. The block needs to be repaired.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
John, correct me if I'm wrong but, here in Fl. a boat needs to be registered if powered by anything other than human power. Think rowing. Also your boat, being over 30 yrs old, may be a candidate for "antique vessel" status. $3.25 per year. It would need to have the same type of original power. Probably outboard in your case. Go to this site.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ing=&URL=0300-0399/0328/Sections/0328.72.html
Good luck.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Regardless what the law says, I'd get a gas motor. You want to have fun and a trolling motor, while cheap, will almost certainly not provide you with the power you would need to get home. We use our motor to return to home so it has a very real purpose and use. One of the long shafts on this site should work, plus they are free shipping.

https://onlineoutboards.com/tohatsu-6-hp-outboards.html

after you are sure of the seaworthiness

May 4, 2017
Regardless what the law says, I'd get a gas motor. You want to have fun and a trolling motor, while cheap, will almost certainly not provide you with the power you would need to get home. We use our motor to return to home so it has a very real purpose and use. One of the long shafts on this site should work, plus they are free shipping.

https://onlineoutboards.com/tohatsu-6-hp-outboards.html

after you are sure of the seaworthiness
I was wondering about when and how often you guys use your outboards and for what reasons. I was thinking that an outboard would have the power to get me back to port if something went wrong. Which brings me to this question. If I don't have a motor will I have to get a fuel tank installed by a qualified individual?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Some of outboards on that link have internal tanks, they are small but work. You can add an external portable tank (6 gallon) later, they are readily available, even Wal-Mart and Academy Sports.

I think the 6HP would be fine if you stick to the lakes and rivers in central Florida on that boat. I grew up in Lakeland and we had pretty small boats and motors that did great on nice days.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
I think the 6HP would be fine if you stick to the lakes and rivers in central Florida
Agree. This is probably the most recommended motor for small sailboats in this forum - and I just bought one. You will probably want the Sail Pro version for $1559 (MFS6CSPROL, 20" shaft), or the one for $1579 (MFS6CSPROUL, 25" shaft). These versions feature the high-thrust prop recommended for sailboats and have the 5A alternator to keep your battery charged (to run your lights and stuff). The shaft length depends on use transom height and waterline, so you might need to take some measurements. Longer (deeper) seems more desirable on paper, but have not read any problems with the 20". They are manual start, not electric, so keep that in mind.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
The good thing about that sail pro motor is you can easily use it on another boat if this one doesn't work out. I have one of these (short shaft) on my flat bottom fishing boat and it is great. However my old 2 cycle electric start outboard on my O'Day 25 has spoiled me.

May 4, 2017
Some of outboards on that link have internal tanks, they are small but work. You can add an external portable tank (6 gallon) later, they are readily available, even Wal-Mart and Academy Sports.

I think the 6HP would be fine if you stick to the lakes and rivers in central Florida on that boat. I grew up in Lakeland and we had pretty small boats and motors that did great on nice days.
John,
This boat will see more saltwater than fresh. Will this motor still work for this application?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
The motor should be fine for either. Please make sure that boat is very seaworthy before you take it out in the gulf.

May 4, 2017
So, the next move is to take the keel off and have it reconditioned. While that is going on I will finish gutting the boat so I can see the fiberglass bottom and check for any cracks or holes and such. Then sand the bottom of the boat because there are paint chips everywhere and barnacles. This should enable me to confirm the hull is in good condition.
So, I've been reading about seaworthiness and from what I gather the boat has to be balanced very well for saltwater usage. This boat has foam blocks in the cabin area on one side of the deck and none on the other. That is strange to me but is it normal?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Sounds like buoyancy foam to me, not sure why on one side and not the other. It adds some unbalanced weight to which every side it is on, but that can be counteracted by placing equipment on the opposite side. The foam is a safety feature on some boats that even if it capsizes or takes on water the foam should keep the boat from sinking.

When I say seaworthiness I mean make darn sure that keel, mast, rigging, rudder and sails are good to go before sailing her with other people.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017
Sounds like buoyancy foam to me, not sure why on one side and not the other. It adds some unbalanced weight to which every side it is on, but that can be counteracted by placing equipment on the opposite side. The foam is a safety feature on some boats that even if it capsizes or takes on water the foam should keep the boat from sinking.

When I saw seaworthiness I mean make darn sure that keel, mast, rigging, rudder and sails are good to go before sailing her with other people.
I totally agree with making sure EVERYTHING is in working order before I have my family on the boat.
So the foam is a safety feature. Well yeah, it's on one side and a bench is on the other side. The biggest issue I'm having is finding out what type boat this is so I can find what it came with or needs. I have yet to find another Illinois homemade boat owner. One day at a time....I'll pull the sails out and photo them today.

May 4, 2017
The mystery of what kind of boat I have has been solved!!
I wonder if it might be a Luger, kit boat
Cat30, You were right it is a Luger Tradewinds 26. Check the link. http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=425
I pulled out the sails saw Luger then I looked at the sail bags and they had Luger 26 on them.
So, now I need to figure out why it has a HIN of IBZ (Illinois Homemade Boat Company) on the title.