Free Catalina 22 mark 1

Sep 23, 2020
Catalina 22 Half Moon Bay
Hi all cat 22 owners,
This is my first post. I have the opportunity to acquire a Catalina 22, hull number 9511. All rigging is there in good shape, Hull needs some glass work and there is also a single axle soling trailer that I will have to modify. My question is do these boats have blister issues and can anyone tell me about the hull number, what it means. The boat is currently moored out, mast unstopped and has been sitting for a couple of years at the mooring. Any help is much appreciated.
overbored

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

I suspect not anymore that any other boat. If you do an internet search on Catalina 22 blisters you will find lots of threads on this subject like the ones below:

I suspect, if the boat has been unattended and not maintained (bottom regularly cleaned and bottom paint as required) the boat risks loss of anti-fouling paint and possibly loss of barrier coat in some areas. I experience the same issue with my Hunter 46 keel that was berthed, coincidentally in Half Moon Bay, because it was not maintained. Suggest hauling out the boat for an inspection by a marine surveyor, which you will need anyway for insurance.

How to read boat HIN:

1600876069289.png

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Anything and everything C22 can be found on the associations website. There is even a tech manual with hundreds of pages of projects, articles, and solutions you can purchase. As for the blisters there not any more prone than any other boat. If its kept in the water keep a good antifouling on the bottom and an eye on the volcano tube if its a swing keel. There is a very active C22 facebook group as well and a specific C22 forum on this site so if you want you'll find enough information to make your head spin. Welcome to the forum.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Oh and if you're new to C22 and only in the purchasing process here is a great guide that came out just last year I believe. It has info on hull numbers, what to look for, and cost of various boats / parts.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Hi all cat 22 owners,
This is my first post. I have the opportunity to acquire a Catalina 22, hull number 9511. All rigging is there in good shape, Hull needs some glass work and there is also a single axle soling trailer that I will have to modify. My question is do these boats have blister issues and can anyone tell me about the hull number, what it means. The boat is currently moored out, mast unstopped and has been sitting for a couple of years at the mooring. Any help is much appreciated.
overbored
"There's nothing as expensive as a free boat."

You need to have the time and energy to do the dirty grunt work, and hopefully you enjoy that kind of thing. What about the sails? That's the most expensive part of an old small boat. Got pics?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I had #10496, a 1981. Great boat. Without looking up the hull #, I'd guess it's a 1979 or 1980 boat, since they were making a lot of them every year back then. I highly recommend the previous comments about finding great C22 material, and also add Pat Royce's great book Sailing Illustrated, which gives a lot of pointers on trailer sailers, and the C22 in particular.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I am familiar with the current hull number goes. The first few identify the builder and model but the last four identify the hull laid and model year. A good example is A020 for January 2020 when hull laid and 20 for 2020 model year. That changed sometime in the early 80's if I recall.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
I believe two numbers are being discussed here. The hull number is the where in the series of this builder/model this particular hull falls. (Gosh, I could have stated that better.) The hull ID number (or HIN) is a 12 character string described sail sfbay's post. The current HIN coding began in 1984.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Free boat, not removed from water in years, no mast step, sail condition has to be junk so might as well plan to buy new. Will it have blisters count on it, I think I would rather buy a well maintained C22 then spend money on a free boat. Fixing everything will quickly add up to a nice well maintained boat in very little time.