Frailty, thy name is Cruiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
It was just a year ago today that I sailed into Oxford and discovered on going ashore that I was in crippling pain. I spent the next couple of weeks in intensive physical therapy to get to the point I could continue cruising If I hadn’t had a good friend there to find a berth for the boat, provide me with a place to stay, and take me back and forth to PT, I’m not sure what would have happened. It’s quite unlikely I would still be writing these posts.

Other than that injury, I’ve been remarkably healthy since first setting out on this adventure. I’ve only had a couple of colds that never took hold and just left me felling less than 100% for a day or two.

It is strange then that I could be so sick today. Last night I was so sick that, looking back on it, I probably should have called 911. I suspect food poisoning but it could also be something like one of those cruise ship viruses and realize now how these things can actually kill you, if only through the strain precipitating a heart attack. I have torn and aching muscles all through my back and sides just from the vomiting.

It felt like some sort of neurotoxin was at work because my body seemed to have lost the ability to breathe automatically. If I sat still and tried to just let everything settle down, I would realize that I wasn’t breathing and was getting lightheaded and faint. Maybe I was simply slightly delirious but I spent hours consciously breathing in for fear that it wouldn’t happen if I didn’t will it.

My systems have settled down a lot today and I’m slowly reintroducing food but I think I have a significant fever and I feel unsteady enough that I’m glad I don’t have to get off the boat. With my usual luck, I’m tied securely in a slip at the Hampton Public Piers.

One of the things I wonder about sailing around alone at my age is what happens if something like this should strike in an open bay dragging anchor or underway with sails up. It came on so suddenly that I could easily get caught in a bad situation.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Here's hoping that the worst of it is behind you.
Have any of your recent contacts/handshakes complained of the same thing?

Oct 4, 2011
Want A Hunter! 33 Seneca Lake
We have something going around work right now. My boss was in bed for about 3 days, I guess. Mostly respiratory.

Hang in there!

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Yea, it's horrible but passes quickly. I've been down twice now in as many weeks.

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Sounds a lot like the flu both my wife and I suffered a few weeks ago, both running to the head with bucket in hand. Absolutley miserable for four or five days.

Hope your better soon, hydrate,hydrate,hydrate...water was the only thing that we both seemed to want.

Good luck.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Food poisoning usually has about a 6 hour period from the time your eat to the time you start having diarrhea and vomiting. So think back on what you ate and the time to the attacks. I had about a four day period recently of sitting on the can all day. Immodium helped but hydrating is about all I could do along with chicken soup. So yeah there is stuff going around. Maybe one of those beers you've been drinking was bad? Probably not enough alcohol in beer to kill the bad stuff. You should just drink straight bourbon or moonshine in a mason jar to be safe .

RAD88

Dec 15, 2008
Hunter 30 Glen Cove, NY
Roger, I feel your pain. I am just finishing with the exact same thing. Came on so suddenly in the middle of the night and I was out of commission for 3 days. The 1st day I thought I might die and had moments where I wish I had. I cannot imagine being on board during this event. Imagine being under sail and having to stow sails and moor, dock or anchor! Still don't know if it was a virus or food poisoning - not sure how to tell the difference. Hope this message finds you feeling better, Rob

RAD88

Dec 15, 2008
Hunter 30 Glen Cove, NY
Visit to a clinic

Roger, rereading your post I think you might want to see a Dr. Some of the food related poisons can be fatal if not treated.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Glad your recovering. I cant imagine being that sick in poor sea conditions, glad your moored safely. Devine Providence?

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Please....

...go see a Doctor or go to the ER. It can't hurt to get checked out and realistically you should get cleared by a Doctor before you take to the waters again if there is any question at all you are unwell.

Nov 22, 2008
I am pleased to report that I live. I feel sort of like I ran a marathon yesterday but should be back to normal by tomorrow.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Yes, go see a doctor if only to confirm the cause of your malady. I had food poisoning 35 years ago and for the next 12 years I suffered from bouts of painful swelling of the joints at the wrists and shoulders. The Doctors kept saying it was arthitris which was uncommon in a 30 year old but one day having a conversation with one of my uncles indicated that he had suffered the same symptoms after a bout with food poisoning. Since you sail alone it would be worth your while to see if you could expect any future consenquences from this episode. Regarding the age factor, do not dwelve on it as this could have happened to anyone of any age. If it happens while underway you will just have to deal with it as you would have done when younger. Remember most of the time the things we fear will happen, never do or just happen very differently from what we had anticipated. Just confirm what caused the symptoms and move forward without "undue worry about the future".

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Yes, go see a doctor if only to confirm the cause of your malady. I had food poisoning 35 years ago and for the next 12 years I suffered from bouts of painful swelling of the joints at the wrists and shoulders. The Doctors kept saying it was arthitris which was uncommon in a 30 year old but one day having a conversation with one of my uncles indicated that he had suffered the same symptoms after a bout with food poisoning. Since you sail alone it would be worth your while to see if you could expect any future consenquences from this episode. Regarding the age factor, do not dwelve on it as this could have happened to anyone of any age. If it happens while underway you will just have to deal with it as you would have done when younger. Remember most of the time the things we fear will happen, never do or just happen very differently from what we had anticipated. Just confirm what caused the symptoms and move forward without "undue worry about the future".
Was your malady ever definitively diagnosed? Sorry, but I'll guess 98% of all maladies aren't.

Nov 22, 2008
Was your malady ever definitively diagnosed?
I'm pretty sure it was viral, very similar to the thing that goes through cruise ships frequently. I've been hearing a lot of people talking about friends and children having "stomach flu" so there is evidently something pretty active in the area.

I feel 100% well now but still run out of energy faster than normal when I go out for a walk or do anything with the boat. I'll see how I feel after today and then decide whether to stay for the weekend or start cruising again.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Glad to hear that you are back in the land of the living, Roger.. Mystery bugs like that are no fun at all.!

Sep 25, 2012
Hunter 30 Massena, NY
My wife Annie and I bought a Hunter 30 a while back with the idea of retirement on the boat, Annie had open heart surgery, 3 stints, I then figured, not fair to her if something happens to me while out on the waters so we opted to see the country in an RV, we did that for 8 months, came home sold the RV bought our old Hunter 30 back, can't keep away from sailing, I feel for you and hope you are having a fast recovery and a great Easter.
Ron & Anne

Jul 30, 2012
O Day 28 foot Fernandina Beach
Feel better

Be well Roger. I've experienced this on dry land and it was bad. It does pass. Good health to you. Bill

Jan 13, 2011
Hunter 33 (78 Cherubini) Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
I Kept Waiting For The Punch Line...

Sick...deal with it, suck it up, grow a pair, man-up, drive on, adapt, overcome.
Real sick...calll a doctor.
Really sick...notify the undertaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.