Fractonal -vs- full mast rig

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
I am parting out my Venture 21 and using some of the parts on my Mac 22. The Venture mast and boom look like a better set up than those on the Mac 22 so I was thinking about switching them...until I realized the Venture was a fractional rig and the Mac a full fast rig. Aside from the Mac having a roller furler, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each type of rig?

Jul 1, 2012
MacGregor 26D Kirkland, WA
if the mast and boom are in better shape or have better components, you could rig them however you want on the new boat.
but, masthead: simplicity, larger hank-on or furling headsails
fractional: more sail fine tune-ability (with an adjustable backstay). smaller hank-on or furling headsails (you could always attach the block up there and still run a downwind sail from the masthead)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
Thanks willsnow, not being familiar with a fractional rig, I am confused. I noticed, after reading your comment, that the fractionally rigged mast has 2 blocks attached to the mast yoke(?) where my full mast rigged mast has the forestay attached. One would not normally rig halyards above the forestay would they (unless perhaps to fly a spinnaker)? I will try to get some pictures tonight.

Jul 17, 2015
Macgregor Venture 21 Detroit
Do you have the top Hatch for the Venture 21!?

Joe! I am in need of the top hatch for that venture 21, Mine fell off in transport!

Paul

I am parting out my Venture 21 and using some of the parts on my Mac 22. The Venture mast and boom look like a better set up than those on the Mac 22 so I was thinking about switching them...until I realized the Venture was a fractional rig and the Mac a full fast rig. Aside from the Mac having a roller furler, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each type of rig?

Jul 1, 2012
MacGregor 26D Kirkland, WA
as i understand it, the fractional vs masthead comparison comes from were the forestay attaches, not where the halyard turns. but it wouldnt make much sense to mount a jib halyard block anywhere other than where the forestay meets the mast - cause the foresail has to run up the forestay. a block higher than the forestay is most likely for a downwind sail.