Four glorious days in the Lake Erie Islands!

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Just got home from four days and three nights in our favorite cruising ground. Sunny days, cool temperatures, good (if variable) northeast winds, and no rain! We used our 130 gennie instead of our usual 110, and were happy that this added hours to our sailing time as the winds died down a couple of times. We anchored behind Johnson Island after an afternoon sail on Sandusky Bay. Then we sailed around Marblehead to anchor off the State Park in East Harbor. Next we had a great sail over to Kellys Island where we spent a night on the wall at Seaway Marina. The staff there were kindly wearing their masks. We rented a golf cart to tour the island, and pick up an order of the best perch on Lake Erie at the Village Pump. Finally, it was a fine sail to Cedar Point, into the Bay and back to our Sandusky Harbor Marina, with a little assist from the iron genie as we turned downwind in the bay.

Great sunsets, fine food, a wonderful Admiral, and Angel Fire by Andrew Greeley - Escape!

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Nice report David but where are the pictures???
It looks like there are a quite a few good destinations around your area.
How are the depths in East Harbor? The NOAA and Navionics charts show about 5 feet but looking at the Navionics SonarChart it shows more like 8 to 10 feet. I'm always curious to know how accurate the SonarCharts are.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Glad to hear you both are getting out there,!
We have only sailed once so far but next week!!!!!! we are going! :biggrin:
Hope you both are doing well!
Lake Erie is DEEP! as compared to chart datum-+ 62"
Of course We are always aware but NOT concerned

Nov 8, 2007
Sorry no pictures! East Harbor is funny. Even with the lake as high as it is, depths were only 2 feet more than the Navionics chart. So I think the depths there change a lot. Our lowest depth going in was 6.5 feet so this is definitely the time to take advantage of this beautiful spot. At Seaway, the gas dock was only a couple of inches above the water on the east side.

Nov 8, 2007
Here is one picture. This is our setup for Zoom church communion in East Harbor on Sunday morning, with my feet under the blanket.
Communion in East Harbor.jpg

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Wow, not being a lake sailor 6 1/2 feet of water would terrify me. But then our tides often exceed 12 feet. We have deep water but it's the currents we need to be careful of.

Ken

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
um, is that a church communion red- wine glass i see for your 'on board' church service ? way 2 go !

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Wow, not being a lake sailor 6 1/2 feet of water would terrify me. But then our tides often exceed 12 feet. We have deep water but it's the currents we need to be careful of.

Ken
We are 6' above chart datum!-Lake Erie has no tides and is the Shallowest of the Great Lakes, Hence the steep short choppy waves which can build occaisionally to 8-10', nobody goes out in that , its storms, but not going there.
We in Lake Erie also have islands!
It is said if you sail the Great Lakes you can sail Anywhere-ask Ted Turner!