Found this article on Bilge Pumps

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Bilge Pump Capacity:
Do The Math

By Beth A. Leonard

Just how much water can your bilge pump move? Probably a lot less than you think.

Click image to enlarge.

If you have any boat larger than a small runabout, chances are you have an electric bilge pump somewhere aboard. That bilge pump is not intended to keep your boat afloat in the event of a hull breach, but simply to remove "nuisance" water — including, among other things, small amounts of spray or rainwater that come in when the companionway is open, drips from the stuffing box, or leakage or seepage from a deck fitting or port light that's not quite watertight. Though those bilge pumps are not intended for hard duty, the BoatUS Marine Insurance claim files show that in many cases, sinkings have been delayed and even avoided because a bilge pump kept up with a small leak and allowed time to fix it before it became a large leak. Conversely, many sinkings involve a bilge pump that has been ignored for weeks or months as it cycled increasingly frequently, or one that has run the battery flat in a relatively short period of time when the volume of water entering the boat led to continuous running of the pump.

A standard electric, submersible centrifugal pump that can move 500 gallons per hour (gph) sounds as if it should be able to handle nuisance water easily, and even be capable of dealing with bigger problems. After all, 500 gph is just over 8 gallons per minute (gpm). That's the equivalent of just over one-and-a-half jerry cans of water every minute. But chances are, that pump is not even moving half that volume. To get an estimate of your pump's real-world pumping ability, figure out how much each of the following might be reducing its rated capacity on your boat.

-20% Voltage Drop
Most manufacturers rate their bilge pumps while running off 13.6 volts of DC power. But bilge pumps will only rarely see 13.6 volts in the wild. Batteries will only deliver that kind of power while being charged through shore power or with the engine running; they'll deliver considerably less when they're not being actively charged. In addition, the voltage at the battery will not be what reaches the bilge pump six or a dozen feet away in the bilge. Bilge pump wires are sometimes undersized, and connections are often corroded (it is the bilge, after all). All of this can decrease the voltage actually reaching the pump by 20 percent or more, and can easily result in a 20-percent drop in capacity. To maximize voltage to the pump, clean all connections regularly, and check the wire-gage recommendations for your pump size. If that wire's undersized, up-size. And if you decide to install a higher-capacity pump after reading this article, make sure to put in a new, larger wire.

-30% Head Height
Bigger isn't always better when it comes to fuses. Use the fuse size recommended by the manufacturer; otherwise increasing resistance in the wires or the pump may not trip the breaker, allowing heat to build up and potentially start a fire.

Most manufacturers also rate their bilge pumps when pumping water horizontally. But bilge pumps are located in the bilge — below the waterline. Water is going to have to be pumped UP to reach the outlet, and it will have to go even higher if the outlet hose includes an anti-siphon loop above the waterline, as it should on most boats. Therefore, in the wild, all bilge pumps have to lift the water some amount of vertical distance — called head — from the bilge to the top of the anti-siphon loop or to the outlet. Head is expensive in terms of pumping capacity. Three feet of head height, as might be found on larger powerboats, decreases the capacity of that 500-gph pump by about 30 percent. Six feet, as could be necessary on a large sailboat, decreases capacity by more than 40 percent. Assuming the anti-siphon loop is appropriate for your boat, there's no way around that loss of capacity. If you want to move a lot more gallons per minute than you are right now, you'll have to up-size the pump.

-20% Hose Resistance
Anything that increases the amount of energy required to move the water through the hose will also decrease the pump's effective capacity. That includes corrugated hoses, which create more friction than smooth-bore hoses, long hose runs, and runs with sharp bends or with dips where water can pool. Some people install a check valve in the outlet hose to keep the last of the water in the hose from flowing back into the bilge. Not only can check valves jam closed, but according to Rule, who makes bilge pumps, they can reduce a bilge pump's performance by as much as 50 percent. Worse, if the valve is close to the pump, the bilge pump may not be able to overcome the resistance of the valve at all when it is being held in position by the weight of the water in the hose.

Corrugated hose alone can reduce pumping capacity by 20 percent. If your installation has all of these ingredients, you could be losing more than half of your pump's rated capacity just to hose issues. To increase capacity, get rid of the check valve, switch to smooth-bore hose, and create as straight and smooth a hose run as possible.

= Actual Capacity
Recommendations For Minimal Bilge Pump Sizing By Boat Length
Boat Length Pump Output (GPH)
Source: West Marine

To 18' 300 to 500
18'-22' 450 to 700
22'-26' 600 to 1,200
26'-30' 800 to 1,000
30'-35' 1,000 to 1,600
35'-40' 1,600 to 2,000
40'-45' 2,000 to 4,000
Having gone through this exercise, you may be wondering how much your pump will really move in a minute or an hour. One easy way to find out is to pour five gallons of water into the bilge and start your stopwatch when the bilge pump kicks in. A 500-gph pump should empty the bilge in 35 seconds if it's working at its rated capacity. A 1,500-gph pump should be able to do it in 12 seconds. Of course, given all of the above, it's more likely that 500-gph pump will take longer than a minute to get rid of the water. Eighty to 90 seconds wouldn't be unheard of, and the 1,500-gph pump will take 25 seconds or more. Do the math to see how your bilge pump stacks up against the writing on its side.

Then consider whether or not you have enough pumping capacity. When it comes to pumps, more is (almost) always better, but Table 1 shows West Marine's recommendations by boat size. How does your boat measure up? Increasing the pumping capacity you have aboard by installing a larger bilge pump is an easy and inexpensive way to give you — and your boat — time when something starts to go wrong, time that could make the difference between being on the water and in it.

— Published: December 2014

There are some statements that could be argued but in general I found it a fair assessment of what can be expected of bilge pumps. I always considered that the smaller the boat the faster it would fill with water hence the need for a larger pump but West Marine differs and recommends the smaller pumps for the smaller boats. I think performing the timing test on how long it would take our bilge pump to expel 5 gallons of water would provide us with an actual understanding of the capabilities of our own pumps. In my experience anywhere close to 50% of the rated capacity is good. Please bear in mind that a 1/2 inch hole 1ft below the waterline may easily allow 5 gallons of water per minute. Increase the distance to 2 ft below the waterline and you could be looking upwards of 15 gallons per minute. A lot of us including myself at one time grossly overestimated the capabilities of the bilge pump thus deriving a false sense of security. It would seem a pump upgrade in size might be desirable for everyone but then we start considering larger size discharge hoses and thru-hulls. Frequent inspections of valves, hoses and clamps are really the first line of defense. My safety concerns only increase dramatically when I'm aboard so for that eventuality I would recommend a self priming, manual gusher pump located on or near the cockpit.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2010
Benny,

It's nice to see you have done an in-depth background study in bilge pump pluses & minuses.
I've had a career in the industrial piping field but unfortunately, most boatowners haven't delved this far in.

I can't recall the number of folks I have spoken with concerning pumps & the good & bad. Anytime you read a pump's rating is in GPH, for me it raises red flags as that is not the performance you will get per minute. My first simple rule to folks is, the smaller the bilge, the bigger the pump is needed not the other way around.

Vertical head, types of hose & every fitting & turn affects resistance & the pump's performance. Aside of a major hull breach, this is the best we have. The only other idea I can add is that my pump wiring is never crimped but soldered & watertight positioned above the bilge. I then have a fuzzed terminal block located higher up & from there, to the panel. I like to keep my wiring dry.

ps: I also liked your advice on proper wire sizing.

Great post pal.

CR

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
that is a good informative article that boat owners should should take to heart, because its a FACT....

but when thinking of replacing the centrifugal pump, one should consider the advantages of a diaphragm pump... the basic issues are the same, but not nearly to the same degree.
the diaphragm pumps are more expensive and a bit noisier, but the do move a lot of water in a hurry... and they dont get installed down in the bilge, so they are easier to service when needed.

my boat (Cal 34-III) was outfitted with a diaphragm pump already installed... the keel sump holds right at 90-100 gallons of water when filled to the turn of the hull. the bottom of the sump is 6ft below the discharge outlet and the diaphragm pump will empty it in 3.5-4 minutes.... this is my first experience with them as a bilge pump, but I like it much better than any brand of centrifugal pump that Ive ever used before... and you know when it cycles so you can immediately tell if it is cycling too often.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Thanks CaptnRon but I cannot take credit for an article written by Beth Leonard. I have been aware of this information for some time but found this article that says it much better than I could.

Jan 6, 2010
Benny that's cool man,

It was important enough for you to do your background. Knowledge is power dude, eat it up.

Center,
You are soo right that a diaphragm pump will move alot more water as it is a positive displacement pump, nothing drains back & it's discharge pressures remain fairly constant.

The problem with my boat was finding room for a diaphragm or positive displacement pump. I think that 36ft. & under, pumps have this room-fit problem. However, on my next changeout, I WILL find room for a positive displacement pump, who cares about the noise, as I want to hear when my pump is pumping. That's what gives me that warm-n-fuzzy feeling.

I hope alot of boaters that question bilge pumps look at & gain from this thread.

Thanks guys,

CR

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Ron

What is your opinion regarding the installation of a hand powered (whale gusher?) pump as a secondary? Just musing.... I imagine that if I ever outfit a boat for a serious crossing, that is something I would want to install.

Mar 20, 2012
on my next changeout, I WILL find room for a positive displacement pump, who cares about the noise, as I want to hear when my pump is pumping.

CR
yep.. I agree.
they arent noisy while just sitting there wait to pump... they are only noisy when pumping.... if that becomes irritating, then fix the leak stupid.... (Oops, I meant fix the stupid leak!)

Jan 6, 2010
RG,
I have a Gusher hand pump, "JUST IN CASE."
If you never have to use it, you don't have a problem.
If however you need to stay afloat, it's just a hand pump away &.....it will pump alot of water more so than most bilge pumps. I also have one incase I need to pump out my waste tank.

I have both in the cockpit with the handles close by. I have read articles where this pump kept the boats afloat when all else failed. Ya can't put a price on safety man.

But you are thinking in the right direction my friend.

CR

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The one thing that always gets missed in these articles is a tri-split system where you use a diaphragm pump for nuisance water, a very large centrifugal and a Whale type cockpit hand pump for for the Oh $hit times.

Diaphragm pumps don't have the issues with head that centrifugal pumps do and they also tend to self check valve and can actually use check valves, where centrifugal pumps should not use check valves. Check valves on centrifugal pumps sink boats when they stick closed, and they do quite often.....

The reason for the fuse sized to the manufacturers rating is to not burn up a stalled pump, not for protecting the wire from the pump. If the wire is properly sized, for minimum voltage drop, the fuse in a bilge system is there to prevent a stalled pump from catching on fire.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
RG,
I have a Gusher hand pump, "JUST IN CASE."
If you never have to use it, you don't have a problem....
CR
Thnx CR, I have been thinking that way for some time. I don't have a whale gusher (yet) but I do have one of those hand pumps (like this one) as my backup for now. I can easily pump 5-9 gal/min with this. I hose clamped a long piece of tygon tubing to the outflow so I can direct it out of the cabin. Whale gusher is next on the upgrade list after I fix the alternator on the O.B.

Mar 20, 2012
(diaphragm pumps,),They do have some advantages, but if I'm only installing only one bilge pump I would go with the centrifugal. This Practical-Sailor link: http://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/36_11/psadvisory/Diaphragm-Bilge-Pump_5985-1.html echos what Maine Sail said.
if a person has no real need to move a lot of water in a hurry, they would go with the centrifugal bilge pump.... and for most people, the centrifugal works just fine. and it would for me also, 'cuz my boat doesnt leak.
but when people are going all out, installing large dual or triple pumps for worst case scenarios, its foolish when a diaphragm pump could do it all, and are less prone to problems.