FOUND: Owner's Manual for ASA First 22

May 25, 2020
Catalina Capri 22 Home Port
I am having trouble locating the owner's manual for the [2015] First 20/ASA First 22 (same hull and keel, different layout). In particular, I am interested in the schematic, parts list, and maintenance procedure for the keel-lifting mechanism.

The seller reports an occasional small amount of water entry via the keel mechanism while sailing. Is this common with Beneteau lifting keels? Can it be remedied by a good greasing or some other maintenance?

And (OT) I understand there is a device made to ease in the lowering of the mast. But without the basic owner's manual or much else out there on the internet, I am having trouble going ahead with the purchase.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020
Is that site maintained? It doesn’t use SSL and looks like something out of 1997. I expected to see a “This site best viewed in Netscape Navigator” gif at the bottom. At any rate, “I” have signed up for it. We’ll see if “I“ get access, as it appears it is a manual approval process. Thanks!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Haha, yeah, it looks a little long in the tooth, but it is THE place to go for Beneteau specific parts. As a slight consolation they do switch over to an SSL site before you buy anything.

May 25, 2020
UPDATE: I Have received a Beneteau ASA First 22 Owners Manual. It’s in French, but Google Translate has helped. Alas, there are no specific instructions for maintenance of the jack screw.

Attachments

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Not to sound like a back seat driver ;) but have you talked to a Beneteau dealer? Your boat is only 5 years old so it would seem to me that you should be able to get a clear answer from them.

SkipR

Oct 13, 2014
Beneteau First 22 and Oceanis 38 San Francisco Bay
I also own a 2015 First 22. I have never experienced ingress of water via the keel. I would not accept this as normal and, as with any purchase of a used boat, would recommend a professional survey prior to completing the purchase. I have my mast stepped by a boatyard so do not use any devices. However, I think Catalinadirect.com may have something which might work for you. I sail my First 22 on Lake Tahoe; it's a wonderful lake boat. Sporty and comfortable for 4-5 crew. I do have an owner's manual (in English) but don't have access to it right now. (It's on the boat and I'm not.)
BTW: Lifting the keel is a chore. It takes about 80 turns on the manual winch. I use a Milwaukee V28 drill with a right angle adaptor and a winch bit which makes raising the lowering the keel a cinch.