Looks like pin out of your rigging somewhere. Could be out of your goose neck or sundry other locations. Does it have a small head on it? I could quite tell from the photos. Looks like maybe not.
That is a captured pin as above, however it is for a block or sheave. Either way, this might be important and I wouldn't sail the boat until you figure it out.
The tricky part is whether it is from the line you'll go aloft on. It would be a rather unpleasant experience if it was. I've laid on my back on the foredeck before, checking out my rig. Perhaps you could get lucky and figure out where that pin is from.
Thanks everyone for your responses. It can only be a captured pin as there is no head or hole for a cotter pin. It is not from anything obvious at deck level including the boom. It very well may have been tossed or fallen from a neighboring boat in the yard. The boats are stored only inches apart over Winter. I asked all the yard workers if it looked familiar but they had no idea. As far as going up the mast, I have sworn off that adventure. About to sail to Maine and I am very concerned. Will look over the mast top with binoculars this morning.
Buy AUOSHI V1 Mini FPV Drone with 1080P HD Camera, Dual Lens & VR Mode, Optical Flow, 2 Batteries, Gesture/Voice/Gravity Control, 360°Flip, Orbit & Follow – Fun Gift for Kids, Teens,Adults & Beginners at Walmart.com
If something was loose enough to have a pin fall out, I would expect that there would be something obviously falling down or not working properly.
Is it possible that this pin has been on your deck since winter storage and you have just now found it? Maybe it was carelessly discarded by an adjacent boat in the yard?
Is there another identical pin that you can find on some part of your rig? That could offer a clue.
I have added to the list of potential sources, the yard crane. It appears that when the yard removed my shrink wrap my main halyard became unattached. Later, when they attempted to launch my boat they found that the wind had blown the loose end of halyard such that it became entangled with a nearby light pole. They had to bring out the yard crane and hoist a man in a bosun chair up to the light pole to release my halyard. This would have put the crane boom over my boat. Maybe it fell off the crane. Who knows? My sailmaker suggested that I try the halyards and also look at the boom reef clutches. He mentioned that some older rigging systems had captured pins secured by covers with a screw into the mast fitting. I will check some more. I think my sailmaker has a point about the halyard top sheaves. If that pin fell out of there, the sheave would be adrift and the halyard would not work properly. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to make suggestions. Evil neighbor sounds about right, probably a power boater.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.