Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAIM

Jun 24, 2010
CATALINA 310 BROOKLYN
I recently purchased 2001 Catalina 310. I am having a problem geting the transmission to go into forward gear. No problem with reverse and have changed ATF twice. Any suggestions? Haim

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
Hi Haim, I had a similar problem with my '99 28mkII. Engaging the forward gear was challenging, because the lever would hit the binacle guard just as the transmisison wanted to engage. The only solution I could think of was to shorten the length of the transmission cable so that it would engage earlier, and it worked. On my boat that meant adjusting the nuts on the threaded engine end of the cable, and trimming it a little shorter with a Dremel cutting tool. At least that's how I remember it right now. I'll try to take a pic or two when I get to my boat this weekend. Since I don't have the pic, try to follow this thought process: While the engine isn't running look in the engine compartment, and distinguish the throttle from the gear shifting cable. From there, take a look at the position of the cable in reverse position. Then, move the cable to forward position. You already know it isn't engaging in forward, so try to make the adjustment that will put the cable a little further in that direction.

HAIM

Jun 24, 2010
CATALINA 310 BROOKLYN
Hi Haim, I had a similar problem with my '99 28mkII. Engaging the forward gear was challenging, because the lever would hit the binacle guard just as the transmisison wanted to engage. The only solution I could think of was to shorten the length of the transmission cable so that it would engage earlier, and it worked. On my boat that meant adjusting the nuts on the threaded engine end of the cable, and trimming it a little shorter with a Dremel cutting tool. At least that's how I remember it right now. I'll try to take a pic or two when I get to my boat this weekend. Since I don't have the pic, try to follow this thought process: While the engine isn't running look in the engine compartment, and distinguish the throttle from the gear shifting cable. From there, take a look at the position of the cable in reverse position. Then, move the cable to forward position. You already know it isn't engaging in forward, so try to make the adjustment that will put the cable a little further in that direction.
HI BANOOMA; thanks. I am going to the boat latter with a copy of your advice to check it out. HAIM

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Check this out

As stated it should be a simple adjustment. Here is an excerpt from a Westerbeke manual that should be similar.

Attachments

Oct 31, 2005
Catalina C310 Dana Point, CA
Edson Manual Might Help Also

I recently purchased 2001 Catalina 310. I am having a problem geting the transmission to go into forward gear. No problem with reverse and have changed ATF twice. Any suggestions? Haim
Be sure to check the bolt in the pedestal that clamps the shift and throttle cables in place--if that bolt has come loose then you'd have the problems you describe. The bolt is on the aft side on the pedestal near the engine instrument pod. Likewise, make sure the clamp on the engine side is tight as well. See the on-line Edson manual (http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/PDFs/installation/EB396EngineControlInstr.PDF) for additional info. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.