Forward hatch weather strip tubing.

Apr 14, 2014
S2 8.0a 26' Cape Coral, FL
I ripped the old, hardened weather strip tubing from my forward hatch thinking I could run up to my local marine trader and pick up some new tubing - hah, not so much. The 8.0a used 3/8 round, rubber tubing glued into 2 half round recesses around the hatch mating surface. Not sure if the 8.0b used same method.
Does anyone know of a product that I can use. I cant seem to find this stuff anywhere. Lowes has round foam but I see this stuff getting quickly ripped up.
Thanks for any advise.
John

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I can't help you with a source as I just replaced the hatch with another hatch an old bomar

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Check with the guys on this site. Send them an e-mail.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I went through this awhile back and you have to get creative with the search. Example: look up neoprene cording or gasket cording or....I forget what worked and I havent followed through with it as i able to temporarily fix it with a several inch piece of weatherstripping. But, check with Guardico in Seattle. You can at least find out what its called. Also, Guardio will send you some samples. Its not cheap!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Found some notes. Spelling correction..It's Gardico. Called O-ring cording. Since you have yours ripped out, can you send "them" a sample to see if they can ID the material? Lots of different elastomers out there with different properties and most likely will not be white....We need a guinea pig......

Apr 14, 2014
Gardico looks like they might be able to help. I really should have researched a replacement before I ripped out the old. This is jut the last of many mistakes I've made restoring the boat. The old stuff wasn't horrible. I cant imagine it was the original (40 years old) so someone had to have replace it at some point. The stuff I pulled out is comparable to the same weather stripping you might find on cars. Its flexible enough so the hatch compresses it a bit to make the seal. One of the corners had lifted and it had shrunk to open up the seam at the rear. The outside seal was designed to have a break so water could run out instead of being trapped in the middle.
I do want to find something with UV properties so I don't have to replace it in couple of years or less.
Thanks for the suggestions, gents. My search continues.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Mitch, does the McMaster Car have good compressability? I notice its rated "firm"...

Apr 14, 2014
Wow. Thanks Passages! Does the McMasters hold up well to being stepped on?

Jun 14, 2004
S2 9.2A Marblehead Oh
West marine has a gasket that is half round and sticky back
I replaced mine 15 -20 years ago and is still good
I forget the brand but I saw it last year at the store
wish I was more Help
Tom

Apr 14, 2014
Thanks for the post SailingaS2. (like ur name:) West Marine is always my first stop since I get the associate discount. They had nothing that came close to what I needed. I even checked the website. My next stop was Marine Trading Post of Ft Myers, FL - A local marine reseller of mostly used parts. I remember last year I noticed they had a role of 3/8 round weather stripping but they don't have it now. I about 3 minutes away from ordering the McAster.com stuff above ;)
Thanks again,

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I think this is what you're looking for. it's called D cell EDPM foam. it's available in several different sizes. I use it for a variety of things, and buy it at a local hot rod shop about 1/2 mile from my house so I was surprised when it took a bit of searching to come up with an online source for you. anyway… take a look at this, which may work for what you need:
http://www.hardwareandtools.com/the...eme-epdm-3-8-by-1-4-by-17-foot-fdja-4627.html

Cheers,
Russ

Oct 3, 2007
S2 11.0A Driveway
Mitch, does the McMaster Car have good compressability? I notice its rated "firm"...
Mark & jlillie,
Sorry to take to long getting back to you. I need to figure out how to subscribe to a thread.
Mark, the Mcmaster is what I consider on the soft side of firm. If I push down on the hatch 20 lbs or so, it compresses enough to get nice 1/4"~3/8" contact area. If you still have the original knob/screw clamps you'll have no problems.
jlillie, stepping on the hatches is fine as it doesn't seem to over compress. The compression is very progressive.
It also will make the tight radius in the corners without buckling or collapsing. I used clear Lifeseal and taped off the gelcoat to keep things neat and clean. If I remember right ( 7 yrs) I did one lap at a time and used the unhinged hatch to weigh it down. I might have used tape to hold it in place close to the corners. I would recommend practicing with say a 4" piece to get an idea of the right amount of caulk to use. You want just enough to ooze out that you can tool it with a finger or maybe a West System stir stick (love those things). I don't keep the hatchs tightened down, just the weight of the hatch sitting on the gasket, but it looks like day one. Good stuff.
Mitch
PS. I could mail you a small piece to check out.

Jun 14, 2004
S2 9.2A Marblehead Oh
TACO Weather Seal & Hatch Tape
Model # 5333455
This is the seal I used from West Marine
Tom

Apr 14, 2014
I received the roll of weather strip from Mcmaster over the weekend and installed. Its perfect. I have an inner and out strip under the hatch so the weather stripping provides the perfect amount of compression. Thanks!

Apr 14, 2014
Just a quick update on this. The Mcmaster weather strip tubes sealed perfectly, Except for one thing; I left the hatch closed for maybe a month and when I tried to open it the strips had stuck themselves to the hatch. Darn near couldn't get the hatch separated and when I did the stripping left little black lines on the hatch. I was thinking I should have put a small bit of Vaseline or maybe some automotive protectorate on them but I never would have seen that coming.

Oct 3, 2007
S2 11.0A Driveway
I had to run out and check mine because it's been awhile since I've opened them and they were fine. I do have covers on my hatches though and you are in the sunshine state. I would use some wax first, the petroleum might not be good for the plastic, especially over time. For cleaning plastic I have found that the cleaner/wax combo that you find in the boat stores (West Marine has their own version) works brilliantly on plastic, both polycarbonate (Lexan) and acrylic (Plexiglas). Works great on plastic headlight too.:)
Mitch

Jan 8, 2013
S2 8.5 New Orleans
I used tygon tubing cut to length with the joint made up with inline hose barbs of the appropriate size. The tubes compress nicely and return to round when the hatch is open. I bedded them in clear silicone with a dab at the hose barbs to retain air.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
do a search for bulb seal.... many different sizes, models and firmness... self adhesive "D" bulb may be what you want... there are lots of places to get it.