Forward hatch '87 Hunter 28.5

Aug 14, 2019
Hunter 28.5 Flag Harbor
My well-meaning brother-in-law stepped on the hatch and broke a hinge...can't just replace the hinge, it is all one piece, alas. Nice hatch with solar fan.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!! Ouch!!.............I have a general rule that guests never leave the cockpit without my permission............even after telling all the guests that on a sail, one guest left the cockpit, lost her balance and fell right through the dodger costing me $300 during a time when I was selling the boat, which did not show well for several months until I got it repaired. You can purchase a new hatch from this site. Its is supposed to be a drop-in replacement for the original hatch over the v-berth. Deck flange size is 21-7/8 x 21-7/8 inches. Hatch lid size is 22 x 22 inches. Cut-out is 20.25 inches.

Aug 14, 2019
Hunter 28.5 Flag Harbor
Sorry, meant to have said "salvage" in the heading! Chances are slim to none I know, but no harm trying. Saw the new one - but thanks! I'll keep the advice in mind.

Jul 28, 2013
Hunter 34 Lake Norman
I have a forward hatch I removed from my 34 but it looks to be the same size. It does not have the support arms to keep it open and the plexiglass has been removed but maybe it has the parts to fix yours or out of the two you can make one. I am located in Clover SC close to Charlotte NC. If you want I can send you some pics.

Aug 14, 2019
Hunter 28.5 Flag Harbor
Thanks for that -- when I get down to the boat I'll check that out. The hinges are not removable unfortunately but perhaps I'd be able to put my plexiglass into that Frame, I have to check out if that's easily done.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
My well-meaning brother-in-law stepped on the hatch and broke a hinge...can't just replace the hinge, it is all one piece, alas. Nice hatch with solar fan.
Please post up some pix to help others visualize the problem.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
As per @FastOlson , some pics from every possible angle would help re suggestions for a repair if you're experienced with glass work. If not, now's a good time top start.

ALSO, I would seriously consider replacing the brother-in-law before doing any repairs :laugh:.