Forum Decorum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I was taught “Sticks and stones can break your bone but words can never hurt you”.
If I disagree with an opinion I can reply or shine it off. Like a commercial I can turn it off or leave the room.

No safe space needed.

There are things that folk buy or get because it was on a boat that can harm them. Saying it like it is only makes sense.

I find it disturbing when a poster asks a question, receives a response based on the experience of a member, then responds by argument, parsing the words used in the reply. A thank you for the response and moving on, or that makes sense but I understand it differently and move on is playing nice.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
"Just a few minutes ago, in a thread where a member was asking advice on how to repair a marine head, one correspondent quipped something to the effect of 'throw it away,' because of the make of the head."

And a few minutes later you make this post about that discussion without providing a link to it, so that others could possibly understand the context of the discussion to which you were referring.

Here is that link: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/issue-with-jabsco-toiletl.197972/

Let's just face it. There are "bottom of the line" heads (like Groco and Jabsco), and there are "top of the line" heads (like Raritan). Whether one has had good or bad experiences with the bottom feeders, including the discontinued W/C Headmates, is immaterial. I used to swap out Headmates for a decade until I wised up and bought a Raritan PHII. In many cases, many of us try to warn new skippers that certain equipment has better options available. When it comes to heads, even Peggie does so.

I think this new post is in very poor taste, and, to be honest, insulting, to say nothing of being inconclusive or even misleading.

It is also, in my experience, not appropriate for you to tell other respondents, who, in reply to your questions, post detailed referenced links about other subjects that the links and widely perceived boat system information they contain, is wrong simply because you disagree with it.

I wish you'd stop doing it, too. :)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don’t think I’ll get hot over the fact that someone with the same brand of head pump as mine thinks it’s a poor product not worth fixing if it breaks down.
:plus:
It is often the responsibility of the offended to decide how to feel about and respond to a percieved offense.

I have never, nor will I ever, intentionally insult or make a personal derogatory comment to another member of this forum. I know, however, that I have offended some members and I can only suggest that those recieving such an offense have as much responsibility as I in the offense. On the other hand, starting a thread to discuss, in general terms, an offensive comment or category of comments, seems like an excellent way of handling and working out an issue of etiquette or social offense.
I, for one, really appreciate the opportunity to learn about and understand what has upset another member of this forum. It may not change my behavior in any significant way, but it allows me the chance to reflect on my own motives as well as my words. There are subjects and words that I have learned to avoid or to append to my comments, in the hopes of avoiding such social conflicts.

I doubt there is anyone on this forum who doesn't have the life experience to recognize the wide variety of behaviors and expectations associated with polite, humorous, helpful or aggressive social interaction. Even if a particular interaction isn't obvious in its intent, the fact that we know our own comments and the comments of others have been taken in the wrong way before, should give us a little understanding and patience with our fellow sailors.

In the particular case of one sailor telling another that his equipment is junk and not worth his time, how many people ask about what is a good boat for ocean sailing, only to be warned that they should be more worried about the quality of the sailor first? It should be understood that most of what is said is opinion. Even with cited sources and quoted facts, the given statement is still an opinion. There was recently a very lively discussion about sealevel rise and Climate Change in which one sailor was constantly calling for cited sources when offering factual evidence. All well and good, but then opinion became a call for cited sources too. It is no good to entertain only thoughts that come from somewhere else as legitimate. It is, however, perfectly reasonable to provide a logical arguement to show why a particular opinion is held.

This is exactly why forums like this are worth participating in. We get to hear other opinions, reasons and experiences to base our own conclusions on. Just as we have the responsibility to choose how we respond to the words of others, we must take responsibility to analyze and synthesize our own conclusions. It is not reasonable to expect perfectly right answers handed to us without our own thoughts as filter.

This has been a post that is based solely upon the opinion of Will Gilmore, founded in 56 years of personal experience with a wide variety of social interactions and numerous long contemplations.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
It is not even winter yet and here we are... Go sailing for Pete's Sake!
You coulda fooled us Brian. Full gear including long sleeved sweatshirts the last few days up here in the great white north.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I have to agree with Brian D on this one. It's not February and don't we all have a leaky port we could be re-bedding?

There is no opinion police here but we do make every effort to keep the forum accommodating to new owners. The best way to do that: express your opinion in a way that doesn't make the reader feel stupid. FWIW, I don't think that happened in the Jabsco thread but as is the way with forums, some replies had more helpful content than others.

So bottom line, this is waaaaay too meta for August. I'm going to lock it and I fully expect to see a group hug and a chorus of Kumbaya in its place.

Status
Not open for further replies.