Fortress anchor on 331

Jul 14, 2020
Beneteau 331 Lake Conroe
I currently have this anchor on my 2002 Beneteau 331 (see picture). It is a great anchor and I do not have any issues with it breaking loose but I do have two issues with it;
1. I do not have a windlass and it is very heavy to pull up. I end up pulling this anchor 3 times in one day sometimes. My kids like to swim at a few different places and we usually anchor for the night in a different location.
2. It has a tendency to bang into the front of my boat, below the bow roller, as I pull it up. They should have extended the bow roller a few more inches forward in my opinion.

I’m thinking of switching to a fortress FX-16 (I had this type on my previous boat). I’m wondering if anyone has one on their Beneteau so I can see a picture of it? I am a bit concerned that the bow roller design is not far enough forward from the boat causing the flukes to rub against the boat hull.

Attachments

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
You have a Mason Supreme now..... great anchor. My Rocna will hit the boat if my wife powers too much while lifting but I am willing to take a hit every now and again for the security it gives me while at anchor. I also have a Fortress as a back-up however never have used it.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
If I were to put a Fortress anchor on my H-310, I would never spend a night at anchor again.

1. These things are lightweight. An anchor needs weight to dig in. Note that all of the Fortress ads are shown in sand.

2. The Fortress has a moving part like the Danforth, and for that reason is prone to release.

Get busy and install a deflector plate like this to protect your bow.

000_0103.jpg

You will eventually need a windlass if you carry 400 ft. of rode as we do. Your time has come.
The anchor you now have looks like a Manson Supreme, and as such, you could not do better.

Get to work and enjoy it now.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
It will never set in weedy bottom. The pointy end keep lifting due to weed and not enough weight to dig in.
We were in Georgian bay one time. I thought it was set but it only get caught in the weed. Next morning we were on shore grounded. Took a whole day to get out. I throw it out by the end of the trip.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Getting an anchor that will serve your needs takes consideration as to how you use your anchor and what are the water/bottom conditions. Will the anchor serve your needs.

The Fortress has a rep for holding in sand and mud. You'll need to get it out of the bottom but will be easier to raise out of the water. The issue of holding while the boat moves about in a storm over night could present an issue not as much a problem with your existing anchor.

Perhaps the fortress for those short stop swimming/lunch stops and the more substantial Manson for overnight peace of mind.

Jul 14, 2020
Beneteau 331 Lake Conroe
I do like the fortress, as I said initially I had this anchor on my previous boat. My question is not “is this is a suitable anchor“ my question is “will it hit the boat when pulled in and stowed on the tiny Beneteau bow roller”?
I want an anchor that is light and easy to handle as well as one that is not hitting any fiberglass surfaces when used. My mason supreme is a great anchor, I’m not disputing that at all. The problem is that it hits fiberglass surfaces EVERY TIME I pull it up, and I’m a pretty careful guy (Bad design).

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I bought the Mantus for my boat. To hold the anchor off the boat and secure should a wave hit the bow, I installed their Anchor Guard.

It attaches to the bow roller and when the anchor is retracted it contacts the anchor tip and holds it in place.
1612227198177.png

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I can't specifically answer your question but am guessing that your concern is valid and the flukes would hit your bow when the anchor was on the roller. If nobody with a 331 shares their experience could you maybe borrow one from someone in your marina and see? Or maybe buy one from West Marine and return it if it was a problem?

A work around might be that since the FX16 is only 10 pounds it is pretty easy to handle and you might be able to stow it on the bow pulpit with an appropriate mount such as : Anchor Chocks & Mounts
Admitedly that's not the most elegant way to go but sometimes function does have to beat out form.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Not the same boat but I stow my Fortress sideways in the anchor roller because it is just a little bit long, an option.

A friend of mine who ran charters on a 30' Hunter was in the same quandary. He was real close to putting in a windlass. Anchoring 6 times a day sometimes was getting to be no fun. I suggested he try the Fortress and he loves his.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I do like the fortress, as I said initially I had this anchor on my previous boat. My question is not “is this is a suitable anchor“ my question is “will it hit the boat when pulled in and stowed on the tiny Beneteau bow roller”?
I want an anchor that is light and easy to handle as well as one that is not hitting any fiberglass surfaces when used. My mason supreme is a great anchor, I’m not disputing that at all. The problem is that it hits fiberglass surfaces EVERY TIME I pull it up, and I’m a pretty careful guy (Bad design).
I guess some other skippers have experienced similar problems with their anchors. On our charter in September on a Tartan 3400 the anchoring “instructions” for the charterers was to veer out some chain on deck and then gradually pay out the anchor and chain by hand until the anchor reached the water, then use the windlass. The reverse coming in. Stop the windlass with the anchor still in the water at the surface, then pull it up slowly by hand. All of this to keep the anchor from banging into the bow; a genuine Bruce in this case. Of course, I did no such thing b/c I knew how to get the anchor up without it swinging into the boat. I guess they (the owners) had experienced some damage.

But about the anchor. The new Beneteaus, Hunters, and et cetera are usually equipped with the Delta when delivered, it seems, which may best fit your roller b/c it would have been matched to it. I think the Fortress is a fine anchor, but it won’t work too well with your roller either. Pick up a second-hand Delta of the correct size and try that. Figure about 14 lb anchor weight for your size, barely. The Mantus looks to be about 25 lb for your size.

Last edited:

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I currently have this anchor on my 2002 Beneteau 331 (see picture). It is a great anchor and I do not have any issues with it breaking loose but I do have two issues with it;
1. I do not have a windlass and it is very heavy to pull up. I end up pulling this anchor 3 times in one day sometimes. My kids like to swim at a few different places and we usually anchor for the night in a different location.
2. It has a tendency to bang into the front of my boat, below the bow roller, as I pull it up. They should have extended the bow roller a few more inches forward in my opinion.

I’m thinking of switching to a fortress FX-16 (I had this type on my previous boat). I’m wondering if anyone has one on their Beneteau so I can see a picture of it? I am a bit concerned that the bow roller design is not far enough forward from the boat causing the flukes to rub against the boat hull.
Are you sailing on Lake Conroe?

Jul 14, 2020
Beneteau 331 Lake Conroe
I can't specifically answer your question but am guessing that your concern is valid and the flukes would hit your bow when the anchor was on the roller. If nobody with a 331 shares their experience could you maybe borrow one from someone in your marina and see? Or maybe buy one from West Marine and return it if it was a problem?

A work around might be that since the FX16 is only 10 pounds it is pretty easy to handle and you might be able to stow it on the bow pulpit with an appropriate mount such as : Anchor Chocks & Mounts
Admitedly that's not the most elegant way to go but sometimes function does have to beat out form.
Good idea! I guess I could get one from Amazon and return it if it’s not working. I was hoping someone could post a picture of it on their boat..

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i carry a 7 lbs danforth anchor with a 100 ft polypropylene, yellow. we call it the "lunch hook". i of course have a 35lbs danforth as my main anchor.
if the kids are swimming, your the life guard, anchor watch too. a light anchor is all you will need for your many fun stops thru the day.

on an inland reservoir, you will never need 400' of rode, ever.
a fortress anchor is a great anchor
weeds can be difficult for any style anchor.
when the kids grow more, make them pick up the anchor
i love my 35lbs danforth, 47 seasons with it. but hey, i know how to properly anchor.
i love my 7lbs danforth, "lunch hook"

get a lunch hook. save your back. save your money.
put your money into new sails not anchors