Forestay tensioning on a 423

Dec 4, 2019
Beneteau 423 Jacksonville
There is a small bit of masthead "hook" rearward on our boat. We have a roller furling jib and main. Is there a way to tension the forestay with the roller fuller attached?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Masthead hook?? Do you mean pre-bend? With a mast with an in mast main filter you want to leave the mast in its natural position and not tension aft..... or fore for that matter. It will hamper the sails ability to furl.

Greg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The 423 is a masthead sloop?
Regardless, tension is controlled with the backstay(s). The forestay or roller furling, where it acts as the forestay, determines your rake. It doesn't normally move, after that.
If you have a masthead sloop with too much bend, you are likely over tensioned. Check your forward lowers, as well as your backstay tension. You probably would do well to look at your mast very critically on all axis for fore and aft rake and lateral bend and plumb.

-Will (Dragonfly)

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I realize that you are referring to a 423. By comparison, my 323 has no means of adjusting the forestay such as a turnbuckle under the furler drum. All I can do is add or remove an extra shackle, and that’s ridiculous. About the only thing I can do to minimize prebend is ease the backstays (split) and tighten the lower shrouds.

If the 423 has a baby stay, you can ease it perhaps if it has any adjustment.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Here's a good article on the use of baby stays: “Is the baby-stay critical or could it be safely removed?” – Murray Yacht Sales
"Boats with non-roller furling masts can use the baby-stay to create pre-bend, adding stability to the mast. Performance boats may have an adjustable baby stay, either on a track, block and tackle or hydraulic.The adjustment allows the draft of mainsail to be changed while sailing. Boats with adjustable backstays are able to use the baby stay in concert with the backstay for more fine tuning."

However, it doesn't look like the 423 has a baby stay. The forward lowers will do the same job.

Do you have pictures of your mast?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 4, 2019
Beneteau 423 Jacksonville
Thanks for the input. The masthead/top part of the mast has a little bend to it aft. I have in mast main furling, and it works pretty well. I understand from these and other sources that a bend in the mast is not too good for the furling system. As far as I can tell, the boat was lightly sailed and when we got it, the starboard back stay was loose, like floppy loose. We tightened it a bit to about the same tension as the port back stay, (our Loos gauge won't go to the size rigging on the Beneteau, but I suppose I could use it for relative tension) but we're concerned with tightening it more because of the aforementioned bend in the mast top.
From the discussion above, judicious use of the lowers may help out here. I don't have a photo of the mast but I can get one. Also, I was sailing the other day and was looking up the mast under sail in about 12 knots gusting 16+ and saw the top of the mast flexing back and forth a bit. It is in left-right column, looking up the mast both under sail and at rest. I'll also have to see where the forward lowers attach to the mast, meaning are they high enough to affect the bit at the top.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You could use a rig tune.... said capt obvious.. On a masthead rig the backstay primarily functions as a fore stay tensioner... not a mast bender. Do you have a backstay adjuster? It will allow you to change forestay tension as you need it... looser for rolling up the main if necessary, tighter for the headsail if it's sagging.

Last edited: