Forestay decking coming out

Slavik

Aug 20, 2022
MacGregor Venture 222 Lake Pleasant
The forestay decking was popped out when we bought the boat. We took out the rivets and replaced them with nuts and bolts but with a metal tube that the bolt went through so the threads didn't rub on the fiberglass.

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Some interesting things going on here. The plate that’s lifting up is a cover plate to allow the chainplate to be bedded. Generally there should be sealant to keep water from getting below it. I think they’re usually just screwed down but others might be able to say more certainly.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
There is more than one way to approach this and their are others on this forum with much more experience than myself but here's what I would do...
  1. I would cut out the bad fiberglass and any rotten core material (most likely balsa).
  2. Wrap the forestay chainplate in plastic sheeting or something similar to prevent the epoxy from sticking to the metal. Wrap it in something with low friction because you'll need to slide the chainplate out. You can use lubricant but that would make it difficult for the tape to stick to it
  3. Tape up any gaps below to prevent fiberglass from leaking inside the boat
  4. Fill in the area around the chainplate with thickened epoxy
  5. Tie off a halyard or two to your bow cleat(s) to support the mast and remove the chainplate (optional but highly recommended)
  6. Cut out a V groove in the new epoxy around the slot for the chainplate. This cut out is where the bedding material (sealant) will go. Because it's a V shape, it wont leak inside
  7. Wipe down the groove with acetone, alchohol, etc to remove fiberglass dust from cutting
  8. Reinstall the chainplate
  9. Add bedding compound. BedIT is recommended but you could also use 4200. Avoid 5200 as it's really difficult to remove in the future.
  10. Reconnect the forestay to the chainplate
I would recommend using an oscillating tool for all cuts. These things are worth their weight in gold when it comes to fiberglass work. An inexpensive unit is fine

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
What is the forestay anchored to under the deck? Is it sturdy and just the cover plate is loose? If that were true, I don’t see how the cover plate would be pulling up like that.

I would want to inspect whatever is under the deck, securing the forestry tang.

Greg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I used to have a V22. The forestay chainplate was bolted to the starboard leading edge of the bow.

See if you can see two bolts coming out of the side of your bow similar in location to the red dots I put on this drawing.

1666280172081.png

The chainplate was not straight...it entered the deck and then was bent S-wise to meet up with the hull side and was through bolted.

Slavik

Aug 20, 2022
MacGregor Venture 222 Lake Pleasant
I used to have a V22. The forestay chainplate was bolted to the starboard leading edge of the bow.

See if you can see two bolts coming out of the side of your bow similar in location to the red dots I put on this drawing.

View attachment 210236

The chainplate was not straight...it entered the deck and then was bent S-wise to meet up with the hull side and was through bolted.
Yes. There is one bolt actually so it pivots. I feel another bolt may be in order. For now we're jamming the deck plate that it goes through in place with bolts and spacers tightened in place but it's only a matter of time before that moves.