Forestay and furling genoa

Oct 19, 2021
MacGregor 26M Lake Grapevine
I bought a 26M from a person who told me the original connector on his furling genoa failed twice. In each instance, the mast fell down. Thankfully, no one was hurt. He told me he solved the problem by using a stronger connector. In the boat slip next to me, the boat owner of a Catalina 25 has both a furling genoa and a forestay. I can see where my 26M has two holes side-by-side in that steel plate on the bow of he boat. This looks just like the Catalina setup. Is this second hole on my 26M for a forestay as well? Should a 26M have a forestay in addition to a furling genoa?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am not a MacGregor expert, but unusually, the head stay is inside of the furling foil.

So you have a stay, even if you have a furler.

Photos may be helpful to verify.

What size outboard are you running on your Mac26M?

Greg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
No. The second hole is not for the forestay. The forestay is inside the furling unit. This short video shows how it works. It's really simple as you'll see.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

The MacGregor 26M should have a furling jib/genoa attached to the forestay. The forestay and furling genoa/jb are not separate. Please refer to the attached owner's manual on rigging the forestay. These YouTube videos show how the 26M is rigged and furling jib/genoa forestay is attached to the bow Macgregor 26m rigging - YouTube AND Video 2 Mast Raising - YouTube

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021
I am not a MacGregor expert, but unusually, the head stay is inside of the furling foil.

So you have a stay, even if you have a furler.

Photos may be helpful to verify.

What size outboard are you running on your Mac26M?

Greg
A 70hp Yamaha, and thanks for your reply.

Oct 19, 2021
No. The second hole is not for the forestay. The forestay is inside the furling unit. This short video shows how it works. It's really simple as you'll see.
Thanks, that explains it nicely.

Oct 19, 2021
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

The MacGregor 26M should have a furling jib/genoa attached to the forestay. The forestay and furling genoa/jb are not separate. Please refer to the attached owner's manual on rigging the forestay. These YouTube videos show how the 26M is rigged and furling jib/genoa forestay is attached to the bow Macgregor 26m rigging - YouTube AND Video 2 Mast Raising - YouTube
Thanks for your opinion and the video links. I've seen the video shot in England before. I think this fellow really did a wonderful job. Now that I've had a chance to hear essentially the same thing from a number of sailors who have more experience then I have, I feel reassured.
This forum is so valuable.

Nov 30, 2020
Macgregor 22 Dania, FL
That second hole in the forward chainplate is just there. Perhaps it can be used if the forestay is a little too long or short.
Chip V.
S/V Sand Dollar

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
A 70hp Yamaha, and thanks for your reply.
That ought to her her upon a plane!

I looked at the 26M before going with a bit bigger boat for Lake Michigan sailing.

Enjoy your new boat.

Greg

mwylia

Sep 30, 2018
Macgregor 26X Brookneal
The forward hole is where the furling headsail is attached or in the event one uses a hank-on headsail the forestay would attach there. The hole behind it is where the hank on sail would be attached. If one is using a roller furler, one doesn't use the back hole. At least not for the headsail. Hope this helps. Mike