Forepeak Bulkhead

Nov 25, 2013
O'Day 26 325 Lake Erie, Sandusky, OH
I am looking for information on removal of the forepeak bulkhead. I am 6'3" which makes the V berth unusable for sleeping. When I remove the bulkhead I can stretch out with plenty of room to spare, thus, I would like to leave this out. Does anyone know if this is structural at all? It has only 2 wood screws holding it on with an L bracket at the top with 2 tiny screws attaching that to the boat. Could be that it provides some structural benefit in compression, but, seems like that is a stretch. I would like to remove it permanently and add an access cover to hide the anchor locker drain line. I would also like to remove the fabric covering and replace with wooden slats while I'm at it. Any information on permanent removal of the forepeak bulkhead would be greatly appreciated.

R/

Castrilper55

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
You might this thread on same subject useful/helpful and in some posts humorous.

Nov 25, 2013
Thanks for this info. I wound up removing the fore peak bulkhead and trimming it down and restoring it. Now, when sleeping in the V Berth, my feet are in the space beyond the fore peak bulkhead giving the V berth length an additional 12 or so inches. What a difference indeed. I maintained the integrity of the bulkhead by adding a ply to it increasing its thickness.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Very unlikely to be structural. I pulled the one on my 28 for the same reason and replaced it with a 6-8" high trim running across the top only, so as to open up the bottom for my feet. Works grand.

Nov 25, 2013
Very unlikely to be structural. I pulled the one on my 28 for the same reason and replaced it with a 6-8" high trim running across the top only, so as to open up the bottom for my feet. Works grand.

Nov 25, 2013
Here's a couple of pictures of what I have done so far. I intend to remove the fabric and replace it with bubble wrap insulation and wooden planking like I did in the main salon. I'll post pics of that when finished. I think I'll fiberglass more structure into the boat up there when I put the furring strips in for the planks. This way I can completely eliminate that pesky bulkhead!
20200816_142556.jpg
Should be fun! Thanks to all for the great ideas.

Castrilper
20200816_142540.jpg

Nov 25, 2013
That is what I intended to do originally but as it turns out -not so simple. The bulkhead is structural so would need to be made structurally sound after the cutout is made. Also, there is a sink that would have to be removed - which isn't a bad thing, but a fair amount of work. then an enclosure would need to be built and installed. I actually made a design for this and included a hanging locker, but haven't worked out the structural integrity issue yet. I may build it next year, but for now this is a good and quick fix for a long standing problem. Thanks for the suggestion!

Castrilper

Oct 10, 2019
Signet 20 0 Ithaca
To your question about whether there were structural issues involving that panel, you can generally judge that by the size and quantity of the fasteners: little hardware doesn't do much, big hardware and plenty of it is good for big loads. A couple of small screws holding something together would indicate that there isn't much loadng, thus not a structural element. Generally...