Foreign objects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
I have a rather indelicate question (aren't they all?) Does anybody make/sell a disposal bag for feminine hygiene products? I'm thinking of the sensibilities of boat guests who may not have been previously exposed to the realities of a marine head. Ziplock bags would work, but since they are transparent, the ick factor is at the top of the scale. Surely someone has dealt with this problem before and come up with an elegant solution.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
doggy bags

The marina has a box at the end of each pier for pet owners to use for their doggy do-do. We have used these for several years and they work great. sealable and black plastic.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Ziplock bags and...

Any guest who doesn't have at least enough class to wrap a feminine hygiene product in TP before depositing it in the trash can in the head would never be invited aboard my boat again. However, on the outside chance that your guest(s) may have offsetting socially (or other) redeeming qualities, I suggest a good supply of ziplock sandwich bags and white paper sandwich bags plus a sign in the head that provides disposal instructions.

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco
Bill is spot on. We also use doggie litter bags and instruct our guests to use them. We have experienced excellent cooperation.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Don't you mean ANY head. I thought everyone knew sanitary napkins in a toilet was a no-no.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Landlubber guests don't...

Don't you mean ANY head. I thought everyone knew sanitary napkins in a toilet was a no-no.
I'd guesstimate that tampons clog more toilets and macerator pumps than anything else, at least until half the world started using wet wipes...now I think they're tied. Condoms can be a problem too. The problem is, landlubbers don't realize that "flushable" on the product label does NOT apply to toilets on boats.

When it does happen, the boat owner/host usually has to share at least 50% of the blame 'cuz it doesn't occur to 'em to tell their guests that NOTHING can go into a toilet they haven't eaten first except the TP supplied.

However, there are now some high end all china electric "thrones" with grinders (they don't call 'em macerators) powerful enough to chew up anything, even a tampon. Tecma is one...Raritan's Atlantes is another.

Status
Not open for further replies.