Fore Stay Bow Connection

Jan 28, 2023
catalina 22 Clinton Marina
Curious what others use to secure the fore stay to the bow (sorry about my terminology). PO used a bolt. I’m replacing the furler/fore sail so want to secure it correctly. (See photo)

thanks.

Attachments

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
typical for our standing rigging is the 1/4" pin -- make sure you use good marine grade hardware (316 SS) -- I use a quick release as I don't have the furler-- but same principle:

IMG_2586 (2).jpg

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I used PTO pins on my Starwind 19 but after seeing pins wiggle themselves all the way in/out, I'd stick with something that can accept a cotter ring or other mechanism that's not going to come out. I'd still use the PTO on less crucial areas of the boat

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
typical for our standing rigging is the 1/4" pin -- make sure you use good marine grade hardware (316 SS) -- I use a quick release as I don't have the furler-- but same principle:

View attachment 222055
If the boat is being rigged and down rigged frequently then the pull pins are a decent solution and make the job easier. However, having sailed on a boat that lost its forestay clevis pin while racing, I prefer something more secure, the cotter pin and clevis. This is also a poor location for a cotter ring as it is difficult to see and inspect, which means it won't be regularly inspected. Cotter rings are more likely to fail than cotter pins.

KCofKC

Sep 6, 2010
Catalina 28TR MKI 317 Smithville
Tailboom, oddly enough I am in your area and sail a Catalina 28. Like most have said most often it has a clevis and either a split ring or clevis. But I have seen many with SS bolts as well. Personally, I do not see an issue with this if the boat is SS and the nut is a Nylock like yours appears to be. But I will say a double nut would be better, this also makes it possible to not only lock the nuts but secures the location. I would check the threads annually as they provide less bearing surface to ride on and wear. I also notice that it appears to be back one hole from where has been.

Jan 28, 2023
catalina 22 Clinton Marina
Tailboom, oddly enough I am in your area and sail a Catalina 28. Like most have said most often it has a clevis and either a split ring or clevis. But I have seen many with SS bolts as well. Personally, I do not see an issue with this if the boat is SS and the nut is a Nylock like yours appears to be. But I will say a double nut would be better, this also makes it possible to not only lock the nuts but secures the location. I would check the threads annually as they provide less bearing surface to ride on and wear. I also notice that it appears to be back one hole from where has been.
Thanks. Hope to see you in KC sometime - I’m at Lake Clinton. I measured the hole size today and plan to put a 5/16ths Clevis or bolt to secure. The previous bolt was probably 1/4 but allowed too much play.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Many bolts have a non-threaded part. This is going to be much stronger than the threaded section. 1/4" bolts can snap pretty easily if forcce is applied in the correct manner