For DAD.....

Sep 2, 2017
Kenner Kittiwake Savannah, Ga.
I bought the 23.6 Kittiwake because she sat lonely and neglected accumulating Spanish moss like a beard. I know nothing about sailing, but this boat needed a skipper and I could hear my dad....
I didn't see an old boat, but a dream of my fathers since he was a kid.
My father died while I was deployed to Iraq and I told him that when I cam back we would buy a boat and sail it, unfortunately that dream never came true ,as I received the new of his death on the battlefield. I couldn't even get home for the funeral, but swore to my dad as I lay crying in the sand that I would do it for him.
I now rub, wash, and hope for some help in learning and refitting this boat for us.
This is a sentimental journey for me and I hope there are others who will guide me in the right direction or become my mentor.
I know one day I will sail out onto the ocean with my fathers bomber wings next to me on the shelf and read The Old Man and the Sea aloud to him as a testament to my love for him.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Those are nice looking full keel boats. You will do your father proud.

Picture of current condition and then restored condition, please.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
A beautiful sentiment to your fathers memory and a work that will bond you forever good luck with your project and remember the only bad question is the one that didn't get asked. This is a great place to be a part of and I am sure that there are many here that will help you on your journey.
Thank you so very much for your dedicated service!

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Johnnyreb,

Love the name by the way! Some more pics and an inventory of what you have i.e. mast, sails etc. might be helpful. I highly recommend a book called "This Old Boat" by Don Casey. You can get it on Amazon. In fact if you will PM me your name and address I will buy it for you. This is a great forum for getting your questions answered so don't hesitate to ask anything. I want to say thank you for your service and I am sorry for your loss.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
John,
Welcome to the forum. I congratulate you on your journey. May your boat help heal the loss I know you must feel.
Soldier Strong. Fair Winds.

Sep 2, 2017
Kenner Kittiwake Savannah, Ga.
I hope to meet some of the faces and potential new friends on this journey.
So if any of y'all are in Savannah, Ga. let me know