Food For Thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ROB SCHMEHL

We are planning our summer cruise down to Captiva Island.(from Tampa) This is the first year sailing for us and we are starting to plan our food provisioning for the trip.(going crazy trying to figure this out) We are planning to be away for six days and are wondering how you plan meals for this type of trip. We will be gunkholing a couple of days at a time and plan to stop at some of the places along the ICW. Maybe some of you have lists of what you purchase before you take off. Any and all suggustions will help. Thanks, Rob and DJ s/v You Be U

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
pre-cook

Before departing on a week-long voyage, we will spend a day pre-cooking single plate dishes such as lasagna and cassaroles. We cook each dish about half way and then pull it out of the oven and toss it into the freezer. Then, when underway, we pull it out in the morning and then pop it into the oven in the late afternoon once it's done defrosting. This minimizes galley time while out in a seaway. We've learned to plan the daily menues ahead of time so that we don't put the first one we want to eat at the bottom of the freezer.

R

ROB SCHMEHL

Thanks

Thanks John, That's a good idea. Do you put them in a freezer on board or just into refridgerator or cooler with lots oof ice?. Thanks Rob

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Menus

Rob, my wife lays out a menu and pre-cooks and vacuum bags the servings so that they can be cooked in the bag after being frozen. Tastes like just made and produces far less clutter. Rick D.

B

Bryan

Bring snacks

Cruising is great time for chillin' and snacking. You don't always feel like a formal meal. My favorite is french bread, gouda cheese and greek olives. I never eat that stuff at home but it sure hits the spot on the boat.

L

Lachapelle André

Out for a long time

I did some sailing for a week or so, but some people I know, (and some are doing it now), have been cruising for a year. Our main dishes were pre-cooked and stored in vacuumed Mson jars, I know some of you won't like the idea of glass on-board, but it worked for a lot of peaple with proper care and storage in the boat. For those of my friends that were stopping for re-fulling the food, they would get a cabin or motel with kitchen facilities, cook meals again, and back to the mason jars. Another trick is the zip lock bags with dry foods. Good luck and best sailing to all, André Wind Spirit 3, Lake Champlain, NY

Status
Not open for further replies.