Follow up on water heater installation efforts

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
I attached a photo to show what was necessary (in my situation) to remove the water heater on my Mark II (1988). In an earlier thread, despite the encouragement of those who successfully removed their water heater through the galley drawer unit, I had no such luck! It was determined after many valiant efforts that the support block for the heater that was fiberglassed in was too thick to allow the unit to be pushed back (to port far enough) and removed via the open space where the three drawer unit is located in the galley. In other words, their was no SPACE! The curvature of the hull and nano-inch spacing would not allow for any upward tilt of the unit. I did not have many alternatives here, but to consider cutting away fiberglass to remove it. Removing the fuel tank was a big no! Rather than cutting away thinner glass under the quarter berth and ladder area to pull the heater straight out, I elected to cut away part of the recessed support area to tilt the unit up and out. I used a Dremel drill with cutting blade for a clean cut and after installing the new unit will epoxy in the piece and match the seams with gelcoat. Surprisingly, once the quarter berth cushions are back on and that teak trim piece re-installed, it is not noticeable. I have observed production boat building when I used to inspect the Hunter plant in Florida and noted that workers gathered scrap wood for supporting anything from water pumps to tanks under the interior pan. I am not surprised that the water heater on my boat could not be maneuvered far enough back and up because the glassed in wood support piece was a bit thick or thicker than others pieces installed. As long as the interior pan could be successfully installed over various components, that's all that mattered. So here is my experience that may be valuable to others. The heater can be removed as I was informed, without making any cuts, but in the event it cannot, this for me was the only alternative. Any feedback is always welcome.

Regards,

Bob
Breezin II
Georgia

Attachments

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Looks like a good way to do it. You should be able to reattach that piece back with some metal bits and screws if you ever need to remove the heater again

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Thanks Doug.
May not be that easy........Since the original heater lasted 28 years I can always cut through the re-attachment again to gain access. Quick set epoxy and gelcoat match/filler should do the trick.

Bob