Folding propellers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2007
Catalina 309 Lake Tahoe
We would like to exchange our propeller for a folding propeller. Does anyone know the shaft size on the 309 and has anyone else installed a folding propeller?

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
We would like to exchange our propeller for a folding propeller. Does anyone know the shaft size on the 309 and has anyone else installed a folding propeller?
Shaft size is 1". No experience with a folder.

Jun 7, 2004
Catalina 309 Ottawa
I ordered my boat with a Variprop feathering propeller. While it was one of the most expensive options that I ordered I feel that it was one of the most beneficial in terms of improving the sailing experience. I requires annual maintenance which is easy to do at the end of each season after haulout, but it could also be adjusted and greased under water if you wanted to.

The main benefits are 1. improved performance in reverse especially when coming into my slip. and 2. It definately improves performance in light winds which we have a lot of during the summer months. The advantage of a feathering prop diminishes as the wind speed increases.

The prop requires proper adjustments to match your boat and engine which your supplier should be able to calculate for you.

Gary
Glory Days C309 #136

Shell

Sep 26, 2007
Catalina 30 standard JC/NYC
I know three boats that have folding or feathering props. Nothing but trouble especially for the expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.