Folding Propeller - RH 1" Shaft

Apr 7, 2021
Catalina 30 TM BS MkI Cheney
Looking for folding propeller for 1985 Catalina 30 with M-25 engine, 2:1 transmission, 1" prop shaft. Current fixed propeller is RH 13x12. Either 13" or 14" diameter should work.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

If you do a search on this site on "folding propellers" and you will see lots threads with folding propeller recommendations OR do an internet search on "folding propeller" and you see links to many folding propeller manufacturers like Flexofold, Gori, Varifold, Maxiprop, Max Prop, Kiwi (feathering). The forum will likely offer their preference. I cannot offer a recommednation one since I prefer fixed bronze 3 blade michigan sailor propeller based on no moving parts, low cost and excellent performance (sailing and motoring speed and manuverability).

You might find this thread helpful: best folding prop? | SailNet Community

Apr 7, 2021
Catalina 30 TM BS MkI Cheney
Thank you! I'll check out that resource and look into some of those options.

Mar 30, 2020
Catalina 30 Gibsons BC
Welcome to the forum!!

If you do a search on this site on "folding propellers" and you will see lots threads with folding propeller recommendations OR do an internet search on "folding propeller" and you see links to many folding propeller manufacturers like Flexofold, Gori, Varifold, Maxiprop, Max Prop, Kiwi (feathering). The forum will likely offer their preference. I cannot offer a recommednation one since I prefer fixed bronze 3 blade michigan sailor propeller based on no moving parts, low cost and excellent performance (sailing and motoring speed and manuverability).

You might find this thread helpful: best folding prop? | SailNet Community
I have a fixed 3-blade also, but have a significant pull to port when motoring anything over 2000rpm. Been seriously thinking about a different prop. C30 Universal 25. I love the idea of a folding prop from the sailing performance aspect, but am hesitant because of so many options and so many mixed reviews ... never mind the cost!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi Julian, congrats on your first post.
props are a bit like sails. We all have our favorites. You will need to consider your water, how you use the boat, etc.

I sail in the PacificNW, the Puget Sound and the Salish Sea waters. Tidal currents and fickle summer breezes mean the use of the iron Jenny more often. I spent a couple years using the prop that came on my boat. It was what is called a Michigan Wheel ( I have been told).
AC52AC38-414E-4D15-88E2-EC2CE97639C0.jpeg
When I powered up the bite of those big ears would pull the stern down in the water. Very inefficient. When sailing I could sense the drag and hear the vibration and whine in the transmission as I neared hull speed in a strong breeze.
I went looking for an alternative. The Campbell Sailor by WestbyNorth on Vancouver Island came up in several articles about effective propulsion. I learned that sail boat owners with them report improvements under power and less drag under sail.
E99DC86C-431D-42C3-8445-B5D23028F245.jpeg

I enjoy both stated improvements. No more stern pull down. Just efficient drive forward. Less prop walk. I get about about a knot and a half better under power and sailing 3/4 to a knot better than the old prop.

While seeking the right prop feels like the search for the Holy Grail it is a search we each must undertake.

It helps to define the water conditions you sail and the engine/transmission of your boat. Then talk with a prop guy to hear his insights. I found the folks at WestbyNorth helped me.

Good luck.