Folding prop size, S28 with W13

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy Baker

Hello, Looking for anyone with info/experience with a folding prop on a Sabre 28 with a Westerbeke 13. Thanks for any help, Andy Baker.

L

Lee Hound

Ask Sabre about the sizing of props

Andy, when we were looking for a new folding/feathering prop for our Sabre, we contacted Sabre's customer service. This is about 6 years ago, so I don't know if there still is the same knowledgable people, but we got extremely good advice. By the way, we have a Sabre 32 and they advised us to get a MaxProp, which is feathering. Then we bought it through PSI, they sent it with the right size and pitch, and it worked from the beginning not only flawless, but our boat would sail a lot higher and faster, and the reverse power is fantastic. Forward it is as good as the old fixed two blade, but better in a chop and strong headwinds. Good luck, Lee

A

Andy

Dear Lee, Thanks. I did get a response from Sabre, but it seems to differ from what is on the boat. I have a 14X8 now, which tops out at 3000 rpm and about 6.8 knots. Sabre said their records indicate a 14X10 fixed or 14X12 Martec folder. Their suggestion appears to be a little on the big end. I have been in touch with Flex Fold (geared folder) and they suggested a 14 or 13 X9, depending on the reduction ratio. There seems to be some question about the actual reduction ratio. I'm afraid that a feathering prop won't work too well here as the amount of lobster pots around here is staggering, and a side benefit of the folder is a bit less to snag, particularly on the pots with a short (underwater) line. Thanks again and Happy New Year. Andy Baker

Jan 15, 2007
Sabre Sabre Sloop, 32 ft San Francisco
Andy, have you heard of this prop?

Andy, this is common when it comes to finding the right prop. If I didn't have a good prop already, this might be something you want to try out: The KIWIPROP. This is a Newseeland product, fairly priced, lightweight, made from superstong Zytel, for sailboat engines up to 50hp. Great customer support, and VERY knowledgable people. They will ask you all the difficult questions about your boat, but once you are there, they might have the prop for you: A new Zytel-design, exchangable blades (individually) but feathering. But if you snag a line, they are elastic and usually there is no damage, but if, to change a blade would set you back $100. The pitch is adjustable, even in the water. Zytel is a plastic material, that, for example, Porsche uses for some engine parts. Try this address: kiwiprops.co.nz. Good luck, Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.