Folding Prop Is Gone

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Actually on a Kanzaki you do want a freewheeling shaft, per Yanmar, or to use a shaft brake. With a fixed prop a Kanzaki should not be locked in reverse unless a shaft brake is employed. With a feathering prop this is a non-issue as you're only locking it to stop the freewheeling and the cones won't be loaded up constantly..
Yes thanks, was trying to remember how I came to the point where a feathering prop was the only way to go. Yanmar told me to let the shaft freewheel, and the shaft rumble was unacceptable beneath the aft berth. So hence the max-prop feathering prop. Was surprised to find it would not feather unless placed into reverse. The big improvement was being able to get the boat moving in very light winds. Losing the noise was a bonus. If I could have safely locked it in reverse I'm not sure I would have bothered, and adding a shaft lock didn't have acceptable ROI. The feathering prop got it all.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
There is another plus for the Max-prop. You can change the pitch yourself. The three blades unit you can change under water (dive) with a Allen key. The 2 blades model you have to haul out. Either way, you can change the pitch by 2 degrees interval.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
I remember reading the user manual of Max-prop. You were supposed to idle the engine in forward gear, let the boat sail beyond the speed of the idling motor and then turn off the engine. The prop will feather. At the point, you can put the gear in neutral. The prop will remain feathered. Not sure why but seems to work.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Philip_Oceanis 361 said:
I like the campell sailer but living on the other side of the Atlantic will cost me including delivery and import duties around 1000 dollars. This is still half than a 3 blade FOF but I also worry if I don't get the correct size. Returning back is simply not an option. Any experience with these guys getting it wrong the first time (I know Maine sail did)?
Yes, they do get out wrong and I'm trying to document mine to them right now. We all don't have the option of really pulling our boats multiple times to get it correct. However, that being said they are easy to work with.