Foiled again! Photobucket no longer free to link images...

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
So in case you haven't noticed... photo links to a PhotoBucket account no longer work. This really sucks since all my pics (like 100's of them on multiple threads) are linked.

I have to pay a minimum of $99 per year (and it might be $399 per year if they consider this '3rd party hosting') to restore all the photos to my threads... Or I have to painfully copy all my photos back to my Mac and then paste each one back to all of my posts in all of my threads... yeah, this is awesome.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Many years ago I resisted the oft-touted migration of my photos anywhere other than my own computers. My friends all thought I was a neanderthal. They may still think that, but I have all of those photos (carefully placed in folders with date and subject) and it costs me nothing. I bought a couple of backup portable hard drives and have both my desktop and laptop fully backed up. It took some discipline. I even used Dropbox a few times, but mainly to share photos of a wedding in the UK with family.

Some boating forums, unlike this one and our C34 forum, like the C25, don't allow direct posting of photos and rely exclusively on things like photobucket links. They could be a world of hurt unless the old links will still work even if you don't pay, although clougdiver says that doesn't seem to be the case.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Like Stu, I never saw the appeal of those services. Didn't make sense to me, adding more steps to the whole thing of posting pics. But computer tech smart I'm not. I can't even get the drag and drop feature on other sites to work correctly.
I feel really badly for those who have been duped by this scheme. I'm guessing the years of free service are paying off for someone now, big time. I guess some of you know how this guy feels?
dog gone it 2.jpg

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
A couple days ago in the news was an item about the big data centers filling up. Didn't catch it all but since that is the case we can imagine the ol' "supply and demand" factor is coming into play.

If PhotoBucket is starting with monetizing it's non-commercial storage one can bet that others aren't far behind. Apple provides some free storage but it doesn't take very long to fill it up and then it costs. Basically, use the free storage for a few limited things.

I'm with Stu .... storing my stuff internally on various drives but also doing management with what to keep and what to delete. One needs to ensure draft files, emails, and those extra photos or videos one doesn't need, out of date files, etc., are deleted. I'm still suffering from an old hard drive crash back in 2006 where I "thought" I was doing backups and lost some precious files by not doing it as often as it should have been. Guess the same could be said for those files in the cloud.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
th.jpg

I saved mine on these, that way I'll always have them. :banghead:

All U Get

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I imagine phones also have a lot to do with it as the size of the pics has increased tremendously and now much easier than ever to take tons of pics.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I never STORED my photos anywhere else but on my hard drive(s).

And I always hated photobucket. For years, I used tinypic.com for posting pics, until they got bought out by ... you guessed it ... photobucket. Now tinypic.com sucks too. I don't have a good solution anymore.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You could see them getting squeezed more and more.. with little ad rev and people only using Photobucket for third party hosting. I used to use them at the first 235 site, because their older bbs software did not support image hosting.

Everyone has to make a buck. Somehow.

ALWAYS have local storage of your images. Always.

Official word

http://blog.photobucket.com/photobucket-launches-unlimited-3rd-party-hosting-plan/

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I have some images out there that are linked. I have not been notified directly of that change but have been aware of it. When my avatar disappears, I'll know they got around to me. But, the last few times I've been on their site it has been virtually unusable because of all the ad scripts that run. So, for me, I was looking for an alternative anyway. No biggie. All of my images are locally stored. Only used PB for posting a linked image and really didn't do very much of that.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I used PictureTrail for many years and never had a problem with paying ~$20.00 a year for trouble free service. It's not like $20 will break me or starve my family.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Hate to revive this zombie thread, but one of the reasons I haven't been very active lately is that I am still trying to recover my photo albums from Photobucket (download albums) and then restore the pics to my my restoration thread. The download album is not working on my Mac. I have scoured the web looking for a solution, but nothing I have found covers Mac/Safari. I have the download album feature on the right side of the page but it never allows me to set the destination (like a folder named 'boat pics' or whatever on my hard drive or a flash drive) and then every time it says "whoops! something went wrong!"
Anyway, what does work is individually saving each pic by right clicking and 'save as'... So I'll be doing that a few hundred times unless someone can give me a hint on a better way to resolve this.