foggy cracked windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2009
2 30 FOOT ST PETERSBURG FL.
1984 30' Lancer windows are all foggy and 2 are cracked. I think I want to replace. Anyone have experiance? Can I get some plexy glass from Home Depot? How thick? How to cut? These are not the opening port holes in the stern birth (or afterbirth as my wife would say). these are the long windows on the sides.

thanks guys. Jack

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Cutting plexi can be a PITA. I am planning to do this project myself soon, but I don't have metal frames. Given your location, the easiest way to do it might be to have a pro cut the plexi. If you line up the shop they should be able to do it pretty quickly. You can also build a temporary wooden port cover to allow you to replace one unit at a time. I'm lucky in that I should be able to trace patterns of my ports, have them made and then replace them...although that is a messy operation lacking any frames. A piece of plywood cut to fit with some wooden battens bolted to it to hold it in place should do to close off the port...plus some water proofing for those FL showers.

Here is a decent link I found regarding cutting plexi yourself. You should be able to judge thickness pretty well by observing a cracked area. You may be tempted to go thicker, but if it is a curved surface that may mean the new port with crack faster than the old one.

http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPage.php?file=docs/Cutting Plexiglass

Feb 1, 2007
-Lancer -28 The Sea Of Cortez
Wait until you try and remove the plastic "pop-rivet" fasteners that hold the windows in..First, you must remove the interior trim around the windows...Good Luck..

Status
Not open for further replies.