Fog your motors for storage!

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Local broker's story:
All powerboats, but applies to us.
A little Regal 24, Volvo inboard V8. Boat sat for a year. Owner listed it for sale. Boat started and ran for buyer. Then very next day after sale, engine wouldn't turn over. Seized.
Mechanic discovered that rusted valve stem on a cylinder with the valve open, allowing salt air in, apparently wasn't closing fast enough. At higher RPM the piston finally beat the valve to death, breaking it. Valve pieces banged around and destroyed the piston and broke the head open, dumping seawater (Raw water cooled engine) into the cylinder. Later pumped out a gallon of seawater from the pan.
Motor ruined, a day after purchase.
Another boat, a Chris Craft 38, same thing except it bent up the pushrod.
2 other boats, a Bayliner and a Carver, same issue but rusted the cylinder walls and now motors burn up oil like a drilling rig fire.
All in the last 6 months, at one broker in one harbor in California.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
What’s the nexus to fogging?

It probably doesn’t hurt to do it, especially for a gas engine, prior to layup but I’ve never seen evidence showing fogging precludes problems like these.

Were the engines you refer to all gas?

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Fogging is the only way to lubricate valves in a gas motor.
For storage I fog and also pour a small amount of mystery oil down each cylinder, then crank the motor to lube the cylinder walls.
I have never had a problem. Also don't forget the fuel storage additive.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
What’s the nexus to fogging?

It probably doesn’t hurt to do it, especially for a gas engine, prior to layup but I’ve never seen evidence showing fogging precludes problems like these.

Were the engines you refer to all gas?
Yes gas. Fog your gas motors. Fog oil not to be run in a diesel.
I guess fog a generic term for prep for storage. When I was in the cold east, I'd run anti freeze through the raw water side, which pushed out the salt water from the exhaust path, replacing with AF. I'm wondering if that is a logical method that also prevents salt air from coming back in open valves.
Also I'd run the motor in the slip once or twice during winter, and re-AF.
Fogging a motor coats the valves and cylinder walls etc to try to prevent rust on surfaces exposed to air.
It was rust and pitting in the chambers with open valves that caused the stoppages in the motors mentioned.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Has anyone come across a non-combustible fogging oil for diesel engines ? Any fogging oils I have seen always add the caution "not to be used in diesel engines".

I suppose you could use it if you're wearing Kevlar underwear :yikes:.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Most fogging oils have a lower viscosity than does diesel. In that context, fogging a biesel is counterproductive since any diesel coating the cylinder walls, etc. would be solubilized by fogging thereby offering less protection.

I’m not sure it makes any difference long-term but most diesel mechanics I know think it’s not necessary.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
All depends on where you live. I have to say the cruise this Feb was fun but chilly.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Les' February trip was EPIC. He and John and Ward made it fun when it was snowing.
Gee, Ralph, didn't ya follow the cruise here?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Before I stored my gasoline-engine ski boat in a garage in the California delta for 3 years, while overseas, I filled the gasoline tank, added a fuel stabilizer and then fogged the engine to lubricate the valves. The engine started right up after I took it out of storage.
However, when I stored my diesel-engine sailboat on the hard in Napa, California for 3 years, while overseas, I only added engine fuel stabilizer. After it was put back into the water the engine started right up. I then had the diesel fuel polished and filters replaced as a safeguard to mitigate the risk of fuel system plugging from algae.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Many boats use 2-strokes which continually fog themselves and everyone else around. I've never seen a rusted valve on a 2-stroke.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Many boats use 2-strokes which continually fog themselves and everyone else around. I've never seen a rusted valve on a 2-stroke.
You’ve probably never seen a Martin engine. One of the very few 2 strokes with tappet valves

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Can't say that I have. Of course technically most 2 strokes have reed valves.