fog scares me!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Tom, You are correct. In order for it to work you need it on, and you need to be at the wheel observing the radar and keeping an eye outside. Doing 30 mph with the boat on autopilot figuring he was out of the main shipping channel, no need to have someone at the helm I got to get my fishing gear ready. It is opening of shrimp season.

• Wow

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Even in Maine almost no one uses fog signals these days. Too hard to hear over the engine noise. But fog is much less scary for me than it used to be. The answer is to have an AIS transponder. Even though not everyone uses AIS - the ones you really care about - like ferries - do. And they watch the AIS display a lot more carefully than their radar. To sail near commercial traffic in the fog without an AIS transponder is downright foolish.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I remember this sail in the fog. Our modest speed (3kt?) gave the illusion that we were in the middle of a clear dome with an approximate diameter of about 100 yards, and the dome was following us.

With the near total silence inisde the dome, we could hear a lone motorboat miles away.

Foggy wake (1 of 1).jpg

Speed up to 6-7 knots, the dome would have closed in around us to a few yards of visibility.

Speed up to 10 knots and you'd get the typical frantic radio report, "Fog is so thick I can't see the foredeck!!!"

Meeting another fog sailor. We'll wave but neither one of us will break the enjoyable silence.

Schooner bow.jpg

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
"enjoyable silence" which was then interrupted by the one long and two short blasts on your air horn every two minutes (or less). compounded by the other vessels one long and two short blasts on their air horn every two minutes (or less). and the horn from the distant motor boat, every two minutes or less. right?

call me crazy, but listening to my fog horn signals for hours on end sucks. that's right , i said it. that is my opinion.

.......................... or, were you not blowing?

......................... if you were not signaling, then you join the crowd of boaters that "scares" me when i"m sailing.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I've sailed in Maine when we couldn't see the bow of our center cockpit, 56' schooner and when it seemed pure chance that I managed to get withing the 20' visual distance of the can I was dead reckoning to while we 28 kids rowed our two pulling boats, but most of the time I've spent in the fog on the water, was in a rowing dinghy looking searching, questing for our invisible boat on a mooring somewhere in that direction, or was it in that direction?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Jon it's like driving in Boston, the light turns and everyone continues going through the intersections. I asked my son about that. He said everyone counts to three after the light changes red. I asked him where he had learned that. He said from his friend Joe.

A little while later we were waiting for the green with my son driving. It turned green and we just sat there. Confused, I asked if we were going on this light or waiting for the next cycle. He said "Just making sure Joe isn't coming the other way".