fog scares me!

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
what are the proper sound signals when sailing? what are the proper sound signals when motoring?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
§ 83.35 Sound signals in restricted visibility (Rule 35).
In or near an area of restricted visibility, whether by day or night, the signals prescribed in this Rule shall be used as follows:

(a) A power-driven vessel making way through the water shall sound, at intervals of not more than 2 minutes, one prolonged blast.

(b) A power-driven vessel underway but stopped and making no way through the water shall sound, at intervals of not more than 2 minutes, two prolonged blasts in succession, with an interval of about 2 seconds between them.

(c) A vessel not under command; a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver, whether underway or at anchor; a sailing vessel; a vessel engaged in fishing, whether underway or at anchor; and a vessel engaged in towing or pushing another vessel shall, instead of the signals prescribed in paragraphs (a) or (b) of this Rule, sound, at intervals of not more than 2 minutes, three blasts in succession, namely, one prolonged followed by two short blasts.

(d) [Reserved]

(e) A vessel towed or if more than one vessel is towed the last vessel of the tow, if manned, shall at intervals of not more than 2 minutes sound four blasts in succession, namely, one prolonged followed by three short blasts. When practicable, this signal shall be made immediately after the signal made by the towing vessel.

(f) When a pushing vessel and a vessel being pushed ahead are rigidly connected in a composite unit they shall be regarded as a power-driven vessel and shall give the signals prescribed in paragraphs (a) or (b) of this Rule.

(g) A vessel at anchor shall at intervals of not more than 1 minute ring the bell rapidly for about 5 seconds. In a vessel of 100 meters or more in length the bell shall be sounded in the forepart of the vessel and immediately after the ringing of the bell the gong shall be sounded rapidly for about 5 seconds in the after part of the vessel. A vessel at anchor may in addition sound three blasts in succession, namely, one short, one prolonged and one short blast, to give warning of her position and of the possibility of collision to an approaching vessel.

(h) A vessel aground shall give the bell signal and if required the gong signal prescribed in paragraph (g) of this Rule and shall, in addition, give three separate and distinct strokes on the bell immediately before and after the rapid ringing of the bell. A vessel aground may in addition sound an appropriate whistle signal.

(i) A vessel of 12 meters or more but less than 20 meters in length shall not be obliged to give the bell signals prescribed in paragraphs (g) and (h) of this Rule. However, if she does not, she shall make some other efficient sound signal at intervals of not more than 2 minutes.

(j) A vessel of less than 12 meters in length shall not be obliged to give the above-mentioned signals but, if she does not, shall make some other efficient sound signal at intervals of not more than 2 minutes.

(k) A pilot vessel when engaged on pilotage duty may, in addition to the signals prescribed in paragraphs (a), (b) or (g) of this Rule, sound an identity signal consisting of four short blasts.

(l) The following vessels shall not be required to sound signals as prescribed in paragraph (g) of this Rule when anchored in a special anchorage area designated by the Coast Guard:

(i) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length; and

(ii) A barge, canal boat, scow, or other nondescript craft.

[USCG-2012-0102, 79 FR 37912, July 2, 2014, as amended by USCG-2012-0102, 79 FR 68622, Nov. 18, 2014]

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
(g) A vessel at anchor shall at intervals of not more than 1 minute ring the bell rapidly for about 5 seconds.
Is there a distinction between vessel's anchored in navigable waterways and vessel's anchored in a charted Anchorage? It could get pretty noisy on the coast of Maine, is every anchored vessel needs to sound off every minute.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Re: 83.35. Sounds like a cacophony to me. Anyone who has operated in fog knows that tension is high and you need your powers of concentration to focus on the most important information needed at the time. That may be listening to signals from other water craft, or your radar, or your look out, or your depth, or your GPS, AIS or whatever. It does not include leafing through the coregs to see if a signal is coming from a vessel in a designated anchorage, or enduring long blasts every 2 minutes which probably obliterate shorter sound signals or bells. Signaling enough is important. Too much is too much. In one harrowing fog experience near Stonington CT. we had zero visibility. We established ad hoc a signaling system among nearby vessel as just a few toots and a few toots in report. In that way we could keep track of one another. It worked. In another more harrowing fog experience between Orient Point on LI and New London CT. we had the Cross Sound Ferries to deal with. We could hear their engines - which is very scary - but our pathetic horn blasts wouldn't even cause the ferry Captain to put down his coffee. Useless.
My first choice would be not to operate in fog. But if caught in it I would use every sense I have to come through safely. And following a strict sound signal proscription from a entity not present on my vessel wouldn't be high on the list.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Yeah, well you want to try navigating with lobster boats all around.... First, you need to know that you may only operate on the waters with THEIR permission ( as they believe they OWN the water). Since many use a straight exhaust ( NO MUFFLER) they will never hear any sound signals and lastly they operate forward only at flank speed....

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Fog sucks.
I like it.
I know that may sound strange. I respect and fear the danger inherent in it (and worry about the other boats) but that somehow heightens all our senses and brings our crew together as a team. I also love the eerie effect of dissipated light and obscured vision. Can't really explain it.
PS - Having radar/AIS overlaid on the CP also help a lot.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
If I'm moving in fog, it's nice to be in situation where you can hear a bell.

That means I have to stay away from motorboats (power and sail) all going too fast, honking horns and filling airwaves with VHF chatter. Luckily I don't have many inlets to negotiate and avoid those in the fog.

Cabot bell mizzen.jpg

On the other hand hearing a distant bell sailing slowly in the fog is very nice.

We used to ask the youngest ears to keep watch on the bow if traffic was near.

Fog lookouts crop.jpg

Fog
Casco Passage Fog (1 of 1).jpg

Fog isn't so bad if you're not going too fast. Some boats want to keep moving quickly but they'll all be packed in the inlets or on beaten paths.

Not a good place to hang out:

Foggy Thoroughfare Ferry boat .jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I like it.
I know that may sound strange. I respect and fear the danger inherent in it (and worry about the other boats) but that somehow heightens all our senses and brings our crew together as a team. I also love the eerie effect of dissipated light and obscured vision. Can't really explain it.
PS - Having radar/AIS overlaid on the CP also help a lot.
I always did too. There's a special peace in the fog.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@jon hansen I see what you did here.

Harper Lee..To Kill a Mockingbird.....“Never, never, never, on cross-examination ask a witness a question you don't already know the answer to, was a tenet I absorbed with my baby-food.”

Fog causes me anxiety. I broadcast the fog signal from the radio.

All of my senses get charged. I plot my course to give wide berth of all navigation aides. I do not need to go near them, I can hear them as I pass by. I don my PFD. I scan the radar, turn on running lights, AIS, slow way down, listen, and scan the grey abyss for goblins.

I know that this situation is draining my energy. I and crew can not keep this up indefinitely.

If given the opportunity I prefer to sit safely anchored or on shore sipping a cup of hot coffee, perhaps with a bit of medicinal Irish whiskey, watching the fog as Robert Frost described it.

Fog by Robert Frost​
THE fog comes
on little cat feet.

It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.​

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
fun fact: the view in Tom's last photo would be written in the log as "light haze".
i have never been on a ship that was under weigh and the term fog was written in the log. if we were moving, it was "light haze". if we stopped, it was logged as "fog". the legal implications are obvious. just how it is boys. :cool: