Foamy Water

Mar 16, 2018
Catalina 310 202 Carlyle, IL
Any ideas as to why the water in my 2002 Catalina 310s Head is foamy? Thanks!

20200809_114049.jpg

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Any ideas as to why the water in my 2002 Catalina 310s Head is foamy? Thanks!
if the foam goes away quickly it may just be air in the lines. Both hot and cold, or just one? If the foam persists you got something in the water, may want to flush and purge it out.

Mar 16, 2018
if the foam goes away quickly it may just be air in the lines. Both hot and cold, or just one? If the foam persists you got something in the water, may want to flush and purge it out.
Thanks Rob...I tried both... no luck.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I do believe the screen on the faucet output is called an "airator". Same as at home. But not as foamy as what is in the sink.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Found this on an RV site:

"It's just the residual pink antifreeze coating the inside of the pipes. Acts like a little bit of soap in the water, creating the foam when it passes through the faucet aerator. Eventually you'll run enough water through the pipes to wash it all away. Nothing to worry about, the pink antifreeze is non-toxic and as you found dissipates after you use the system for a while."

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Yes, but why is getting the antifreeze foam in August? May I understand, but not now. Did he just now start using the boat? If no, then maybe look at his water source.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I notice that too in the spring, but it goes away after a while. We're in Michigan, so yea, there's pink stuff in the lines. Maybe the OP put pink stuff in the tank. I haven't done that in decades. Seems to take all summer to get the taste (and foam) out. I pull the hose off the tank and let any remaining water drain out, then put the hose in the AF jug and run the pump to pickle the lines. Uses less AF, and there's none in the tanks. There will be a tiny amount of water left in the tank, but it has lots of room to expand when it freezes so it won't hurt anything. It's that tiny amount that takes all summer to dissipate of it has AF in it.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I notice that too in the spring, but it goes away after a while. We're in Michigan, so yea, there's pink stuff in the lines. Maybe the OP put pink stuff in the tank. I haven't done that in decades. Seems to take all summer to get the taste (and foam) out. I pull the hose off the tank and let any remaining water drain out, then put the hose in the AF jug and run the pump to pickle the lines. Uses less AF, and there's none in the tanks. There will be a tiny amount of water left in the tank, but it has lots of room to expand when it freezes so it won't hurt anything. It's that tiny amount that takes all summer to dissipate of it has AF in it.
Do you have 2 water tanks, and maybe just now switched to the 2nd one you've not used since winter?

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I say pink anti-freeze. Flush out tank and lines again and it will probably go away.

Mar 16, 2018
I appreciate the advice and have run quite a bit of water through the lines. Am I missing something when some of you are saying "flush" the tank and lines? Aside from running the pump is there something else I should be doing?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Fill the tank(s) and empty them. Use every faucet you have. You may have to repeat a couple of times. That will flush the tanks and lines.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I appreciate the advice and have run quite a bit of water through the lines. Am I missing something when some of you are saying "flush" the tank and lines? Aside from running the pump is there something else I should be doing?
When you winterize, do you put the pink stuff in the water tanks and then run it through the lines? Or do you disconnect the tank and run it through the lines?

If you put AF in the water tanks, it will take many flushing and complete flushing to remove it all. Better to disconnect the line from the tank and put the AF in the lines. If there is some residual water in the tank, it will freeze, however it will not do any damage because there is plenty of space for the water to expand in to.

Salty

Dec 2, 2008
Catalina 390 14 Perth Amboy, NJ
I have the same problem with my 2001 390. I don’t think it have anything to do with the tanks because that’s the only faucet that have that problem out of 3 faucets. I thought it had something to do with the solenoid valve for the freshwater to the head which is splice into that line.

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
You should always treat your system with chlorine when you launch. Peggie's instructions are spot on as usual. Really nice feeling knowing all the plumbing is safe and odor/taste free.