Foam Floatation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Hi Sum! ............ ..........That's all I was trying to do. :) VBR, Pat
I was using you post in my post to have him go back and read what you said to see that he didn't need all of that foam. I was agreeing with your post ;).

If someone wants some formulas this guy has some and they look to be correct....

http://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/webletters-7/wl55-flotation.html

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
I was using you post in my post to have him go back and read what you said to see that he didn't need all of that foam. I was agreeing with your post ;).

If someone wants some formulas this guy has some and they look to be correct....

http://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/webletters-7/wl55-flotation.html

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links
And you're right about that: a regular Mac certainly wouldn't need that much extra foam to float. I can see that I didn't differentiate clearly enough between my theoretical example and the real thing. My bad! :redface:

And again you're right: I do believe a Mac will float with only the factory installed foam aboard. In fact, we've seen videos of them doing just that.

Sorry if I confused issues with too long of a dissertation. Going back and re-reading it, I get kinda lost in it myself! :)

VBR,

Pat

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
No foam floatation in this boat and do you think th people sailing it are worried about it sinking because of lack of enuff foam?:dance:

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
fwiw: Epoxy will not melt stryofoam. but polyester resin will.

-regarding a mac floating, clearly the waterbalast versions stand a better chance, but I think any of these would roll over (turtle), so you'll still be on the top of the hull waiting for rescue. maybe with some waves trying to push you away from the boat.
Best bet is to keep the water out in the first place.

-note: the one that sank had a steel keel.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
I figure that a 4'x8'x3'' foam sheet displaces 8 cubic feet of water @ 62 lbs/cubic-foot would give you ~500 lbs of buoyancy. For a V25 you would need about 2500 lbs of buoyancy thus you would have to install 5 such foam sheets. Does that make sense?
Hey Fred, You lost me @ 4x8x3. I'll take your word for it. Fair winds...

Jul 29, 2010
God, what did I start here. To foam or not to foam... Bill Shakespeare. You rocket scientist are communing with an ol accountant. I'll take your word for it. Fair winds..

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I had a brain fart.
What about using packing peanuts if you are looking to replace or supplement foam blocks? Wouldn't they be easier to stuff into all of the curved areas? Smaller bags could be filled for neatness. Once wedged into those difficult cavities the foam blocks could be used in the more conventional spaces.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Well the pink boards I got at Home Despot were definitely polystyrene. I have a Ph.D. in chemistry so I'm pretty sure about that. And my Lowes does not carry Ethafoam but if they every start to, I'll consider it. All of the drawbacks of styrofoam mentioned by Nemo are correct. The stuff is brittle. But easily shaped by a knife and once stowed not much of a problem. I guess you use what ya got and then go sailing:D

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
I had a brain fart.
What about using packing peanuts if you are looking to replace or supplement foam blocks? Wouldn't they be easier to stuff into all of the curved areas? Smaller bags could be filled for neatness. Once wedged into those difficult cavities the foam blocks could be used in the more conventional spaces.
Mythbusters dunked a boat and refloated it with ping pong balls. Foam peanuts would work, but have their own mess-containment problems.

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
Well the pink boards I got at Home Despot were definitely polystyrene. I have a Ph.D. in chemistry so I'm pretty sure about that. And my Lowes does not carry Ethafoam but if they every start to, I'll consider it. All of the drawbacks of styrofoam mentioned by Nemo are correct. The stuff is brittle. But easily shaped by a knife and once stowed not much of a problem. I guess you use what ya got and then go sailing:D
Mahalo, braddah! :)

Jul 29, 2010
I saw the mythbusters episode. I was reading up on cockeyed ideas. Someone proposed using ping pong balls to raise the liner Andrea Doria in the Atlantic.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I just get upset when people think that the foam is all that.

One boat sank because the owner didn't pin the keel so that when the boat got knocked down the steel kell slipped back into the trunk and helped the boat roll instead of righting it--Captains error.

One water ballasted 26x rolled and killed some people on a fourth of july, water ballast tank not filled--Captains error.

A Utube movie showing a mack rolling in the slip when two guys swing a girl on the bow, keel in the up position--captins error.

I guess my point is that if water does not get in the boat the boat won't sink, so keep the water out of the boat and the balast where it belongs and you wont need any foam.

How great will your foam filled boat sail or motor when filled with water in three foot seas? Keep the water out!

These are just regular knock down stories of boats that have things where they belong.

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=2770.0

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo

One boat sank because the owner didn't pin the keel so that when the boat got knocked down the steel kell slipped back into the trunk and helped the boat roll instead of righting it--Captains error.

One water ballasted 26x rolled and killed some people on a fourth of july, water ballast tank not filled--Captains error.

A Utube movie showing a mack rolling in the slip when two guys swing a girl on the bow, keel in the up position--captins error.

I guess my point is that if water does not get in the boat the boat won't sink, so keep the water out of the boat and the balast where it belongs and you wont need any foam.

How great will your foam filled boat sail or motor when filled with water in three foot seas? Keep the water out!

These are just regular knock down stories of boats that have things where they belong.

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=2770.0
Aye, Matey! Damn all those impudent lubbers who think that foam is "all that". What was the MacGregor company thinking? Be a MAN! Every REAL Mac owner should remove all that factory-installed foam RIGHT NOW!!! ARRR!!!

And while we be at it, we should all leave those goo-vern-mint required life jackets at home, too! ARRR!! Why, the mere presence of them aboard your vessel is an insult to your skill as a mariner! ARRRRR!!

And when the Kraken or some other unforseen circumstance finds us treading water, we should just accept the blame ourselves and drown like REAL sailors. THAT be what's important, for sure! ARRRR!

AYE, Laddy! Hoist the Jolly Roger and set course for Treasure Island! But leave the foam ashore. I'm with ye, Timebandit! And the Devil take the rest! ARRRRR! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jul 29, 2010
Avast ye barnacle. Ye been in the grog again. Ye forgot about running lights, lifelines, foghorn, radar detectors and other nonsense. Ye be right. Be a man and takes your chances with Davey Jones. He'll welcome ye with open arms. Argh!! Fair winds...

Jul 29, 2010
Where Did ALL YOUR FOAM Go?? DID THE POLYESTERMITES EAT IT?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Juvenille

Hey TimeBandit:

I have the maturity of a 13 year old... and when you said "Butt" in context with foam... well I thought it was funny. ("Foam my Butt"... Actually I'm still laughing)

I did not mean to stick my thumb in your eye.

Hope I didn't raise your blood pressure.

r

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
in all seriousness, if I'm offshore, I often wear the inflatable SOS type harness.. and always at night. *(in the bay, not so much... but I should)

Another thing to consider is if your ladder is not down, could you reach it from the water? (if single handing)

Status
Not open for further replies.