Flywheel won't turn.

Oct 30, 2019
I bought Vega #2620, s/v Bella and am rigging to launch. This afternoon we tried to turn over the engine, a Volvo Penta MD6A. She won't start. The flywheel is not turning. We tried turning the engine by hand with the handle. With the decompression lever up, the engine/flywheel would not budge. In the morning, I'm going to remove the belts and see if the engine/flywheel will turn. It seems that something is locked up. A bearing? The starter? The engine? Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Feb 13, 2010
My first guess would be that you have a leaking head gasket that is
allowing water down into the cylinder. Rust on the cylinder wall
might well lock the piston in place. When you try to crank will it
not move at all or will it just not turn over top dead center. You
should be able to turn the fly ywheel back and forth by hand even
with the starter belts on it. I guess it is possible that you have a
galded bearing that has locked up the engine but most of the time if
they won't turn over it is because moisture or water has gotten into
the cylinder. I would try to rock the engine backwards by holding
and turning the fly wheel and then turn forward with the crank. IF
it will move at all keep going back and forth it will likely break
loose.. OH, first take the injector out and squirt a little
penetrating or very light weight oil into the injector holes to
lubricate the pistons a little bit and let is soak all night or a
couple days if you can. Then try to rock the engine back and forth
and she may well break loose.
Brian on this list will have some good advice so get in touch with
him.
--
Doug Pollard
Albin Vega Sea Legs 2225
KK4YGO

On 05/28/2014 09:24 PM,
toddrtownsend@... [AlbinVega] wrote:

Feb 13, 2010
Another possibility is that if there was no plug put into the
exhaust pipe at the transom before winter storage. Damp air may have
worked it's way into the cylinders. That should free up easily.
IF you can't get her to turn at all you may have to take the
cylinder head off and bump the piston down with a block of wood and
a hammer. but be carefull you could mess up a piston. Soak with
light oil first as I described in the last post. You might try some
WD40 or Liquid Wrench to help break a piston loose. Good Luck.

--
Doug Pollard
Albin Vega Sea Legs 2225
KK4YGO

Feb 13, 2010
Todd IT could be possible that the propellar shaft or the combi is
somehow locked up. Since there is no transmition the shaft is always
engaged to the engine. Make sure all that is free. Check the oil
and make sure there is no water in it it is possible for water to
get in the oil through the water pump if the "O" rings in it are
bad. I guess that is about all I can think of.
--
Doug Pollard
Albin Vega Sea Legs 2225
KK4YGO

Apr 2, 2013
Hi Todd,   Don’t try  turning the motor over, until you drain the oil. Look and see if you have any water in the oil first. If not, leave the oil plug off, pour a few quarts of oil additive through the block…the name isn’t coming to me for some reason, but it is in a red and black metal can. Check the oil you just poured through, looking for any metal, rust, and even water. If it isn’t the starter or the belts, the motor is froze up. If you are very carful in pre-oiling, this will free up the motor. By trying to force the motor to turn over, you are damaging the rings, main bears…so on. One thing I would do is pre-prime the oil system. Pull the distributor and you will see a metal shaft, hook a drill to this shaft and turn it till you see oil at the valve train.  Todd, I build street rods and old engines are usually froze up. You have to be careful, or you can lunch the motor.  Okay, that is my two cents.LarrySent from Windows MailFrom: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.comSent: ‎Wednesday‎, ‎May‎ ‎28‎, ‎2014 ‎6‎:‎24‎ ‎PMTo: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com

I bought Vega #2620, s/v Bella and am rigging to launch. This afternoon we tried to turn over the engine, a Volvo Penta MD6A. She won\'t start. The flywheel is not turning. We tried turning the engine by hand with the handle. With the decompression lever up, the engine/flywheel would not budge. In the morning, I\'m going to remove the belts and see if the engine/flywheel will turn. It seems that something is locked up. A bearing? The starter? The engine? Any suggestions? Thanks!! 

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
I've worked on two engines with this problem.We bolted on a bracket to the flywheel by removing the gearbox (Yanmar 4JH4) and got a long breaker bar to force through some ring corrosion on the cylinder wall.
The nut on the blet hub may have sheared off if we just used that on the front of the engine to force through the rusted rings.After that, a oil change then ran the engine slow for an hour, then another oil change at high RPM for 15 minutes, then slowly reduced rpm over the next 30 minutes.
Good luck

Apr 2, 2013
Is the motor turning yet?Sent from Windows MailFrom: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.comSent: ?Thursday?, ?May? ?29?, ?2014 ?8?:?55? ?AMTo: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com

I've worked on two engines with this problem.We bolted on a bracket to the flywheel by removing the gearbox (Yanmar 4JH4) and got a long breaker bar to force through some ring corrosion on the cylinder wall.
The nut on the blet hub may have sheared off if we just used that on the front of the engine to force through the rusted rings.After that, a oil change then ran the engine slow for an hour, then another oil change at high RPM for 15 minutes, then slowly reduced rpm over the next 30 minutes.
Good luck

Oct 30, 2019
Sorry, there were lots of boat details I've been working on. The engine will turn, it bogs down when the decompression lever is dropped and won't start. It seems quite likely the starter needs rebuilt.I have decided to make sure that all else is good on the boat qnd cross the lake engineless. "The Lake" is Lake Michigan; 80 miles of open water from Milwaukee to Muskegon. I can sail off the dock where I am and I'm right on the outside row at my home marina; just a little bit of breakwater to scoot around. And besides I could call for some help if necessary. ==============
from my droid.
==============

Feb 13, 2010
That sounds to me like a good plan as sailboats and sailors are
quite capable of going enginless and that means you can work on the
engine at your leisure. I sailed a lot of years with a small
outboard stowed in a locker and seldom used it. I became a challenge
to not use it so that I was a kind of purist with an engine and a
gallon of gas as a back up. Enjoy your crossing.
--
Doug Pollard
Albin Vega Sea Legs 2225
KK4YGO
On 06/02/2014 06:23 AM, Todd Townsend