Flying the American flag

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I learned rope becomes line when it is given a function, put to use.
I like the flag on the stern most and off the backstay next.
Chief: mount a 50 cal on your bow and no one is gonna say anything about where you fly the flag! They will just salute as you pass!

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
I think if you are flying our colors in any fashion then you have made me proud. All boats are different as far as the "Taff" rail or whatever. If you can fly it properly that is great. I have a fishing rod holder I mounted on my "taff" rail, it fits in there and all is well. Chief, I too have 21 years invested in the service of our country. No one ever says anything. Of course I fly my Trump 2020 flag on the other side!

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Actually, a hunk of rope just lying about on a boat, e.g., sailboat, would not be a “line.” Rope, or cordage, is bulk material that you use to make up lines. Lines are lengths of rope that have a function w/ a moniker to identify. As in sheet, guy, preventer, tow, or dock, etc.
@Kings Gambit I don't know about you, but I am not wealthy enough to have "hunks of rope just lying about on a boat". Every one has a specific function and I use all of the appropriate monikers so NO ROPES ON MY BOAT! ;>)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
“Hunks” accumulated over many years of sailing and several boats. Besides, just a metaphor. The point—it does not go automatically from rope to line just because it’s on the boat instead of the garage, etc.

Last edited:

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Justin, my friend Steve Sell sailed a Cape Cod Cat out at our club for about 10 years....they are very good looking boats and fun to sail.....Steve's father built his....it was all wood....his father Hugh Sell built it in their wood-working shop here in Wichita....we thought we were pretty tough stuff when his dad built it at their wood-working shop on Minnesota and he put it in a slip at the Ninnescah YC ....I'm not certain where the boat has ended up...but, I bet it is still being sailed somewhere not so far away......Have a great day, Patrick

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I ran the pic through fotoforensics, and in the ELA (error level analysis), the flags appear to have been added, or at least, edited.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
The aircraft carrier in the middle looks like it might be Japanese or S. Korean, they might be in "show the flag" mode in the eastern Pacific.
I think that is a Marine Landing and Helicoptor Transport Vessel. Someone here will know!