FLUSHING WATER TANK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2006
- - Milwaukee, WI
I am getting bad smelling water from the water tank. It was just filled from the a clean water system. I have emptied the water tank. Curious on any ideas and what steps I should take to clean out the tank and the water line?

Jun 30, 2004
Catalina 30 Clinton Township
freshen up those tanks

west marine sells 2 kinds of tablets to sanitize fresh water tanks. i use them every spring. the first one cleans the tank after the winter, the second goes in every fill to keep the water from going bad.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Peggie has repeatedly published

her "How to Clean Your Water System" on this board. Suggest you check the archives and look in Peggie's forum. It's usually the hoses that create the problem. Try looking under "fresh water" and/or "recommissioning."

M

Mary Ellen

Wow - what a coincidence. I just today emptied my water tanks and thoroughly cleaned them out and STILL had a foul smelling water discharge from the faucet!!! Well, I guess I'll change the hoses. Good luck.

B

Bob

Hydrogen Sulfide (rotten egg) odor?

Ordinarily the "sulfur" type odor comes from the hot water heater end after the water heater load is left sitting for long periods. Bacterial breakdown will cause the odor which is like rotten eggs, or hydrogen sulfide. I had this on several occasion, especially after a long stay at the dock during the winter. To remedy my problem, I simply kept my hot water running til I figured six gallons+ ran out and allowed it to refill. I added several tablespoons of chlorine to my tanks. Its always a great idea regardles if your dock water is from a potable source to add a few tablespoons of chorox to the tanks while filling. This guarantees bacterial degradation and keeps the water freshened. I have never had a problem with hoses or the pump or accumulator tank bladded degrading as a result of an extra measure or two of chlorox. If you look at the dilution factor, its not a very small dose and will release as a gas once the faucet is turned on. Bob '88 Cat 30

Status
Not open for further replies.