Flush HWH Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I posted this on the "All", but received no comments, so I decided to try here. I also edited it for some errors.

I figured out an efficient way to reverse flush just the HWH, when the water in it has become stinky.
1) Heat up the water. This will tell you when you have displaced all the water when flushing by the temp. change.
2) Depressurize the system by opening all the HW facets.
3) Connect a washing machine inlet hose, (a 6’ length with two females) to the HWH drain valve.
4) Connect a clean water source to the washing machine inlet hose.
5) Turn on the water and check for leaks.
6) Open up the drain valve on the HWH.
Water should now be coming out all the HW faucets.
7) Let run until water is cold, and then some more.
8) Turn off the valve at the HWH.
9) Turn off the water source.
10) Disconnect the water source from the washing machine hose.
11) Drain the water out of the washing machine hose.
12) Use a funnel and pour a cup of Clorox into the hose and connect the water source back up while keeping the Clorox from running out by keeping it elevated.
13) Turn the water supply on again and check for leaks.
14) Turn the drain valve on the HWH on for just a few seconds and then off again, enough to displace the Clorox in the hose into the tank.
15) Turn off all the HW faucets.
16) Disconnect the hoses.
You're probably wondering why go through all this?
I did not want to run my fresh water pump to death flushing out a 20 gal. HWH. I also just wanted to inject the Clorox in higher concentrations in the HWH only, the cold water was fine.
Hopes this helps others.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
why would you do this? If the tank water smells, it's either stale or you have a bad anode. Replacing both should suffice and sounds much easier.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
You're missing the point.
Let see, if I have to flush, I will need to replace the 20 gal of stale water, if I replace the anode I will also need to drain the tank and replace the water as well. This require running the pump. The pump will only run so long before it breaks. This process saves duty on the pump making it last longer. It is also nearing the end of the season. When I drain the system for winterization, I will change the anode.
But the reason is to help extend the pump life.

Mar 30, 2007
Catalina 310 Manalapan, NJ
When I first got my Still Crazy, my '05 310, I had the foulest smelling water coming out from both the hot and cold water faucets. I wound up shocking the whole system with a gallon of bleach. In the process it did make the water pump worrisomely hot. Since then I put 1 ounce of bleach into the water tank every time I fill it. I have not had any odor problems since (except once when I forgot to add the bleach) and there is no taste of bleach in the water.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Come to think of it I will fill my tank 20gal HWH in the spring through to drain as well, reducing pump duty.

Aug 3, 2009
Catalina 30 great neck, ny
Here's the process for treating the water: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5836.0.html

Anything you can do to save the pump makes sense.

I have a 6 gal HWH (Kuuma) and when I use the hot water, its smells like rotten eggs only when the water is hot. Is there an anode in this unit and could this be the problem? I crack the water tanks with bleach at the beginning of each season to no avail.

Sep 25, 2008
A bad anode will cause the smell you observed. If you are confident it isn't just stale water, replace the anode and you should be good to go

Sep 25, 2008
You're missing the point.
Let see, if I have to flush, I will need to replace the 20 gal of stale water, if I replace the anode I will also need to drain the tank and replace the water as well. This require running the pump. The pump will only run so long before it breaks. This process saves duty on the pump making it last longer. It is also nearing the end of the season. When I drain the system for winterization, I will change the anode.
But the reason is to help extend the pump life.
My point was that the pump should far outlast simply pumping 20 gallons periodically. I'm still on the same pump that came with the boat from the factory which is used, among other things, for pumping four 35 gallon tanks dry at least once each season.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
On my 10yr old Hunter the seal failed. No reason to make it work continuous for an extended period if you don't have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.