Fluid Film

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I recently decided to have my pickup truck treated with Fluid Film to arrest corrosion of the undercarriage and body. Fluid Film is a liquid made from lanolin. The process requires that the underside and enclosed body parts of the vehicle be sprayed with the chemical once a year. Fluid Film remains wet and is supposed to stop corrosion even when applied over existing rust. Has anyone tried applying this product to their boat engine, transmission, and prop shaft coupling?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I've never even heard of it before. But looking it up, here's the MSDS:
1580824421755.png

It basically looks like an oil treatment. It reminds me of the old shops where you'd take your car or truck and drive in and they sprayed the underside in oil. You'd have to do that once a year also.

I'm not seeing anything remarkable here, but coating your metal part with oil helps keep corrosion down. They may have a formula that adheres well. It may work fine.

I do recall the old cars that got sprayed were a real pain to work on: put them on a lift and oil dripped on you the whole time working underneath them, especially if you had to heat anything up with a torch to get it loose...

dj

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I recently decided to have my pickup truck treated with Fluid Film to arrest corrosion of the undercarriage and body. Fluid Film is a liquid made from lanolin. The process requires that the underside and enclosed body parts of the vehicle be sprayed with the chemical once a year. Fluid Film remains wet and is supposed to stop corrosion even when applied over existing rust. Has anyone tried applying this product to their boat engine, transmission, and prop shaft coupling?
I have not used anything like this but I have used RainX on my topsides with good results.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If it is an oil product, would it leave a sheen behind the boat if it contaminated bilge water and was pumped out?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If it is an oil product, would it leave a sheen behind the boat if it contaminated bilge water and was pumped out?
If you are looking for a water dispersing oil that is environmentally friendly, there is this product called TrickShot

It is derived from soybean oil instead of petroleum distillates. I have only read about it and it will probably be some time before I can write a first hand account of how it works. Since the can of WD-40 in my tool bag will probably last another 10 years.;)

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I am still driving my 2002 Sequoia that has been in Maine its entire life (you'd need to pry this old beast from my cold dead fingers). Most cars of this vintage in Maine, with well over 200K, are rusted to the door handles. Heck most Toyota trucks of this vintage have had the frame replaced by Toyota.

How am I still driving an 2002? Fluid-Film, I buy it by the gallon! Hands down the only rust proofing, I have used, that actually works. I apply it no less than 2X per year (Tyvek suit and all) and it does its job. Amazing stuff that really holds up. A bit thick for many things but can really work wonders on vehicles.. I just recently sold my wife's Acura MDX with 300K+ and the guy who bought it could not believe the age & lack of rust.

Oh but don't get it near serpentine belts or you'll be brake parts cleanering the pulleys and buying a new serpentine belt.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
What do you use to apply? (I have one of those Toyota trucks you mentioned.)
I have an application gun (air compressor powered) and some wands with plastic flexible tubes that to go in the frame. I think it was called the Fluid-Film Pro Kit or something like that... Just look for wands that have small brass tips that can spray 360 degrees. Some wands are too fat to fit into the frame holes. Messy but only takes about 20-30 minutes to do the whole vehicle. I prefer to do it with the wheels off, and on jack stands, during winter/summer wheel changeover. It makes access that much easier. Oh and do an undercariage wash a few times, a starting few days before, so you get a good clean base to work from.

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
I am still driving my 2002 Sequoia that has been in Maine its entire life (you'd need to pry this old beast from my cold dead fingers). Most cars of this vintage in Maine, with well over 200K, are rusted to the door handles. Heck most Toyota trucks of this vintage have had the frame replaced by Toyota.

How am I still driving an 2002? Fluid-Film, I buy it by the gallon! Hands down the only rust proofing, I have used, that actually works. I apply it no less than 2X per year (Tyvek suit and all) and it does its job. Amazing stuff that really holds up. A bit thick for many things but can really work wonders on vehicles.. I just recently sold my wife's Acura MDX with 300K+ and the guy who bought it could not believe the age & lack of rust.

Oh but don't get it near serpentine belts or you'll be brake parts cleanering the pulleys and buying a new serpentine belt.
Do you / would you use it on your boat?

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Another fluid film fan here. I have a 2007 Expedition that has very little rust underneath due to fluid film. The vehicle has spent the last several years in the rust belt that is central NY state. Most Expeditions of this vintage would have the rockers rotted out by now. Mine look new.

I also applied it spring and fall with a rust proofing gun and wands that you can buy through the fluid film distributor. Now that we've relocated to SC, once a year should be plenty. I haven't used it on anything on our boats, though.

19thol

May 2, 2014
Hunter 30 St.Petersburg, Fl
Farmers used to coat the underside of their vehicles with used motor oil. It would collect dust in it from the dirt roads and the like, and form a barrier that they claim really works. Good use for used motor oil as well.