Floyd passes with the keel from a Passage 450!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Phil: Looks like the Passage 450 in the Foto Forum looks good but what happened to the keel?

E

Eric Gruff

Keel Hauled ?

My guess is they buried it to provide some stability if the winds got really hairy. That crane is pretty sturdy, but 150 mph winds have a habit of tipping over even sturdy objects. Eric

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I just updated the story

The boat was hauled, then the keel was buired in the sand for stability. clever, eh?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Good way to stabilize crane

Come to think of it, this mya be a case where the boat protected the crane, too!

P

Paul Bednarzyk

Buried 450

I keep my boat at Whitney's marine (the yard pictured in the photo) and watched with interest what they did. First a backhoe was brought in to dig a trench roughly 5' wide, maybe 6' deep and maybe 15 or 20 feet long. Using the lift the boat was lowered into the trench with the sides of the hull resting on blocks of foam to protect the newly painted hull. This was quite a site pulling into the parking lot and facing a brand new 45 footer. By the the way Candi and the rest of the crew did a terrific job making sure all of our boats were as secure as possible. Paul Bednarzyk S/V Knot Again

Status
Not open for further replies.