Flotation Vest

Hagar

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 42 Olympia Washington
P1010812.JPG
We have been using these Stearns Windjammer Type III flotation vests for many years. They are especially good when the weather is a bit chilly for safety and warmth. Nothing lasts forever so we are looking for replacements. So far the only thing we have found that was close were ones by some Polish friends that they picked up in Poland. I do not think they carried the USCG certification. Has anyone seen something like this that I haven't found? Thanks.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Look under float coats!, supposedly the CG withdrew its blessing of them though.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
You can still find them on UK sites. They are EN 393 flotation aids.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH

Hagar

Jan 22, 2008
You can still find them on UK sites. They are EN 393 flotation aids.
So, lots of ski type vests out there. The closest thing I had found were vests for fishermen. Not quite what we are looking for and I have a problem with the "camo" design on something where visibility is important when the vest is used as intended.

My search using EN 393 eventually let to: http://www.baltic.se/en/produkter/floatation-clothing/sandhamn-3/
They show retailers in Canada. Will give them a try. They won't be CG certified but we have lots of other SOSpenders and kayak jackets on board.
Thanks for the input.

May 6, 2016
Sirius 21/22 Petersfield
I see Binnacle is a retailer of these nice to see. I've dealt with them often in the past and have nothing but good things to say about them. Service is excellent and you can actually speak with a real person and not a computer if you have questions. No affiliation just a repeat customer.

Hagar

Jan 22, 2008
No happiness yet. They wrote back and said they didn't carry them. I did find sources in New Zealand and the UK who can do it for about $200 :yikes:. Plus shipping. Looks like I will have to recalibrate the Want Meter.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Look at comp (competition) vests for skiing and wakeboarding. They aren't cga, but, as you suggested, you can keep cga vests on board and wear the non-cga vest.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
I’m intrigued by the idea of a float coat. It seems like something I’d wear a lot, and it adds a measure of safety for the many situations I don’t wear a PFD. I am cruising in Sweden this summer and will definitely check them out (it appears they are made here). There’s a “Top Float” model that is long sleeved in addition to the one you posted. I’ll let you know what I find. Max

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
No happiness yet. They wrote back and said they didn't carry them. I did find sources in New Zealand and the UK who can do it for about $200 :yikes:. Plus shipping. Looks like I will have to recalibrate the Want Meter.

The USCG has one point of view. ISO approves gear for fisherman on the Baltic and North Atlantic through EN standards. The philosophies are different. Personally, I think they have done us a slight disservice, limiting the possibilities and increasing prices. For example, this suit is well regarded and only $115. Unlike many, it is available in the US. Apparently Norwegians and Swedes don't know anything about cold (I think they do).

https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en/Regatta-of-Norway-Sportline-954-Flotation-Suit/m-6924.aspx

Last edited:

Tod

Dec 30, 2010
Montgomery 17 trailered
Hamilton Marine lists a Kent "rogue fishing vest" not USCG approved, with 12# buoyancy, for 79.99

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
So I reread this post and got to thinking, all these items have a different level of buoyancy. Is that why the USCG changed their approval. The average weight of an adult has been on the increase so maybe the vests don't provide enough buoyancy. I know of some smaller commercial boats where the USCG had reduced the occupancy rating on inspected boats. The launch our marina uses has fewer seats because of this. Have you seen the average Mainer. Just a thought.

Hagar

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks for all the input. It looks like the only close options are like the ones Richard shows in his post but the cost is outside what we would spend for near-shore flotation. Looks like we will continue with what we have.